Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need new rear shocks with lifting blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need new rear shocks with lifting blocks?

I have a 2012 f150 2wd and am looking into putting the bilstein 5100 level shocks in the front to put at the 2.5 level height.

Now, I'm confused on how the rear works.
Are lift blocks better than rear shocks lift? If I put rear blocks, do I need to put bigger rear shocks? Can I just put rear lift shocks and no block? I'm confused on what I need to know. How does the rear work?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM
The pug life chose me.

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shocks won't do anything for height, You will need bigger blocks. You will however probably need longer shocks when you do get bigger blocks or you may have quite the unpleasant ride haha.

Nice truck btw :P
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

You should be good an extra inch but I wouldn't push your luck any further.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 5.Ohno
Shocks won't do anything for height, You will need bigger blocks. You will however probably need longer shocks when you do get bigger blocks or you may have quite the unpleasant ride haha.

Nice truck btw :P
So what size rear blocks should I get to be good and leveled with the bilstein 5100 at 2.5" height? And which bigger rear shocks do you recommend to go with the blocks and the front shocks I'm getting?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangverduzco
So what size rear blocks should I get to be good and leveled with the bilstein 5100 at 2.5" height? And which bigger rear shocks do you recommend to go with the blocks and the front shocks I'm getting?
I'm not so familiar with the 2WD but if you set the front to 2.5 you will probably need 1" in the back. If you do that you can go with the stock shocks. If you want to replace, go with bilsteins for the rear!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

You can do rear blocks, add-a-leaf, or shackles. Blocks are the easiest and will not have any affect on ride quality where as an add-a-leaf or even shackles can affect how it rides. As far as what size block you will need to accommodate your level really depends on how much rake you have right now or if you want to maintain some rake after you level. Guessing your rear is about 1.5" higher than the front stock, I would say a 1.5" to 2" lift block in the rear should put either right at level or maybe slightly higher in the back(about 1/2"). Rear shocks would be needed/recommended. You can go with shocks for 4x4 model if they do not make shocks(or can not find any) for 2wd models that accommodates a rear lift.
The following users liked this post:
ivangverduzco (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4.6Intruder
You can do rear blocks, add-a-leaf, or shackles. Blocks are the easiest and will not have any affect on ride quality where as an add-a-leaf or even shackles can affect how it rides. As far as what size block you will need to accommodate your level really depends on how much rake you have right now or if you want to maintain some rake after you level. Guessing your rear is about 1.5" higher than the front stock, I would say a 1.5" to 2" lift block in the rear should put either right at level or maybe slightly higher in the back(about 1/2"). Rear shocks would be needed/recommended. You can go with shocks for 4x4 model if they do not make shocks(or can not find any) for 2wd models that accommodates a rear lift.
So the 4x4 model shocks in the rear is like buying bigger shocks for a 2wd?

Quick Reply: Do you need new rear shocks with lifting blocks?