Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6r80 valve body modification shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 6r80 valve body modification shift kit

Is this something that is available anywhere at all? I see that Exidy offers clutch packs for these, deeper pans are available, dipstick kits are available, converters are available, but I cannot really find anything for a valve body related shift kit to quicken and firm up the shifting.

I understand now that the big deal is firm shifting through increased line preassure via computer tuning, and that's fantastic, I am a believer in that as well...however, for me, it does leave something to be desired.

I used to have a 1996 4.6L Thunderbird with many mods...it had a 4R70W which had a "Jerry Mod" (more about that here: http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html) Initially, I ONLY had a computer tune, and yes, it shifted HARD, however, it did not shift FAST - example, on the freeway going 55MPH pedal goes to the floor to quickly accelerate to 70...transmission goes, wait, wait, hold on, give me a minute....shift shift, OK....GO! After the J-MOD it was pedal to the floor LETS DO THIS! BAM! SHUT UP AND HOLD ON! It was nice.

I have tried a 93 Race tune on my 2013 5.0 F150, and while it does make the trans shift a bit harder (quite a bit) it still does not shift fast enough.

I don't know if this is possible with the new valve bodies, replacing and removing accumulator springs, drilling larger holes in separator plates, and all that fun stuff...the new valve bodies look different, seem like they are more solenoid driven than the old ones (but I don't know I'm no transmission expert by any stretch)

Anybody have any insight here?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

Interested.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

How did it shift under normal acceleration?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Also interested in faster shifting!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Super user

Received 197 Likes on 134 Posts

subscribing
Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Originally Posted by MT-Ford
How did it shift under normal acceleration?

I would say that it shifted faster and harder than stock, probably comparable to a shift on a very light throttle cruising up to speed five star tune...noticeable, however not bone jarring.

everything up to and including WOT was just plain nasty fast...

Here's a video cruising around in that car...come to think of it this was BEFORE the shift kit, come to think of it...there are a couple spots where you can see the cluster and the quickness of the shifts in the tach...after the JMOD it was night and day better...I just never took any video of THAT in the 3+ years afterwards when I owned that beast...

Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 6r does not employ a conventional valve body with accumulators... It uses variable force solenoids or vfs.... They are a variable current solenoid that is capable if exerting as much as 300 psi in some cases.... This is how shift pressure is controlled in these units.... The only way to get a nice "shift kit" shift from these trannies is via tuning device.... There is no mechanical modification that cAn be done here....
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Also am no transmission (any flavor) tech' and have no insight into the modern-day strategies of any of the control modules, so just thinking-out-loud ...
  • 4R70|5 - The J-mod' is a hardware mod' (valve body) -and- could be combined with a software (PCM) mod', however, it was "usally" one or the other. Neither one of the mod's could automagically alter the other.

*Me - Opt'ed for software mod' and it has performed since 2004 (firm, quick shifts - neck snapping at WOT).
  • 6R80 - It could probably (?) have a hardware mod', BUT ... How would it play with the adaptive learning strategy? Would think that unless there was an accompanying software mod' to turn-off or adjust the ALS that the "hardware" mod' would be a moot point. just thinking-out-loud.

What parameter(s) do the hand-held tuners modify to: 1) alter the shifts and 2) not allow ALS to change/revert them? *Not looking for any trade/proprietary secrets.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

PAULthePUNISHER - The 6r does not employ a conventional valve body with accumulators... It uses variable force solenoids or vfs.... They are a variable current solenoid that is capable if exerting as much as 300 psi in some cases.... This is how shift pressure is controlled in these units.... The only way to get a nice "shift kit" shift from these trannies is via tuning device.... There is no mechanical modification that cAn be done here....
Thank You! for sharing.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 AM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Originally Posted by PAULthePUNISHER
The 6r does not employ a conventional valve body with accumulators... It uses variable force solenoids or vfs.... They are a variable current solenoid that is capable if exerting as much as 300 psi in some cases.... This is how shift pressure is controlled in these units.... The only way to get a nice "shift kit" shift from these trannies is via tuning device.... There is no mechanical modification that cAn be done here....

That is sort of what I was thinking...I appreciate the clarification...

Quick Reply: 6r80 valve body modification shift kit