Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 6 speed tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 6 speed tranny

Virgin post so go easy on me.

I have spent the last 6 hours searching the internet to find answers to the problems Ford has been having with their 6 speed for what looks to be a couple years now.

I have an 10 fx4 with 1000 miles. My symptoms are not any different than the others and was wondering if Ford has addressed the issue with a fix that is permenant? If this was an issue in 09 then why would they continue in 10? For those of you that were told the tranny has to learn your driving style, I think you had the wool pulled over your eyes. My 03 and 05 either learned before I bought it or learned as I pulled out of the lot.

Some help in this matter would be appreciated.

Maybe Ford should have taken the gov. money so that they could build a tranny that is representative of a $40,000 vehicle.

I wonder why so many are buying foreign?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbluck
Virgin post so go easy on me.

I have spent the last 6 hours searching the internet to find answers to the problems Ford has been having with their 6 speed for what looks to be a couple years now.

I have an 10 fx4 with 1000 miles. My symptoms are not any different than the others and was wondering if Ford has addressed the issue with a fix that is permenant? If this was an issue in 09 then why would they continue in 10? For those of you that were told the tranny has to learn your driving style, I think you had the wool pulled over your eyes. My 03 and 05 either learned before I bought it or learned as I pulled out of the lot.

Some help in this matter would be appreciated.

Maybe Ford should have taken the gov. money so that they could build a tranny that is representative of a $40,000 vehicle.

I wonder why so many are buying foreign?

For a 'first post', your comments are very interesting and have quite a [familiar] political tone?

I think the new line ('09/'10) of F150's is awesome. I own an XLT; however, I looked closely at the FX4's and only due to limited stock and color selection at the time of my purchase, did I get a loaded XLT....I also thought the FX4 is a spectacular truck.

Can you share with us any of the things you [do] like about your new truck, now that you have had it for 1,000 miles??

What steps have you taken to have a conversation with your dealer's service department about any issues, while under warranty??

What actual symptoms is your truck displaying, and do they go away, as soon as it warms up a little??

Hey, post a photo, I would love to see your truck !!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Just take it back and tell them you're not happy. No... wait that's the Chevy commercial. Seriously though, I've had my 09 for a couple of months and I really don't see the big deal with the trans. I've felt the "clunk" maybe 3 or 4 times at around 20 or 25 MPH while slowing down but it's not that big of a deal to me. It's under warranty so if there's problems down the road I'll take it back and get it fixed.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got 1200 miles on my 2010 xlt and I hardly notice this thing shifting. It is way smoother than the 2008 Chevy I traded.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
For a 'first post', your comments are very interesting and have quite a [familiar] political tone?

I think the new line ('09/'10) of F150's is awesome. I own an XLT; however, I looked closely at the FX4's and only due to limited stock and color selection at the time of my purchase, did I get a loaded XLT....I also thought the FX4 is a spectacular truck.

Can you share with us any of the things you [do] like about your new truck, now that you have had it for 1,000 miles??

What steps have you taken to have a conversation with your dealer's service department about any issues, while under warranty??

What actual symptoms is your truck displaying, and do they go away, as soon as it warms up a little??

Hey, post a photo, I would love to see your truck !!
I knew you were going to be the first to respond NorCal. And I figured you would be suspect of negitive comments towards your love of the oval.

I must set things straight. First car ( age 16) mustang, second sable, 3rd lynx, ..... 7th 03 f150, 8th 05 f150 and now f150. I like quality products and this is why I have stuck with the Ford family.

My symptoms are jerky shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 and then I feel every downshift to the point that it feels like it is putting strain on the u-joints. I was stuck behind traffic the other day stop and go and couldn't wait get out of the truck due to the herky - jerky shifting.

As far as settling, I expect perfection for myself to my employer, I expect perfection from my employees to myself and if I am committted to buy a product from an American company that has suffered financially... I expect perfection. The thing that upsets me the most is that Ford knew about this for the 09's and yet my truck was made last month and still is singing the same song.

I have no political agenda to my post , as I think it is a waste of my time judging the other auto makers. I just want answers and not be given the run around at the dealership which is also a waste of my time.

Lets say that I am a perspective buyer of a Ford vehicle with the 6 speed tranny. I have visited a number of threads discussing this topic and the suggestions to fix the problem are as follows;

1. Drive it like you stole it, it will work itself out
2. The tranny has to learn how you drive
3. Got the TSB completed and it is worse than before
4. I can handle the jerky shifting
5. Do some kind of recalibration and thus start the tranny learning curve all over again.

This to me is unexceptable and would have looked elsewhere.

Oh ya, what I like about the truck, it has not developed the tink engine/cat converter sound yet, its classy, quiet, comfortable seats, doesn't whistle when it gets below 16 degrees like my 05, sync is cool but not a need and best of all ITS A FORD.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Jbluck, has the selling dealer driven your truck? What has been his thoughts on this? Have they done anything as far as updates or repairs?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM

when i got my 09
i too felt the shifts up and down
i had the dealer drive it and reprogram the tranny
after 2 weeks of the new tsb installed (2010) version
i have not felt any shifts since that was about 4000 miles ago
i just returned (friday dec 11th)from a 1900 mile road trip in 4 days
without one single hard shift up or down
so i really think if givin the chance it can be brought to your likeing
at the milage you stated i was not happy with it either
but give ford the oppertunity at the very least just my opinion
Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The problems are:

1) It's an entirely new transmission. The trucks you mentioned previously had the old 4sp tranny and I'm guessing weren't as advanced in the computer programming department as this one.

2) Those who are impatient and can't wait for the "learning" to complete are freaking out and getting their computers reflashed, which is only repeating the problem. For those who are patient and wait things out, or believe what the service techs are telling them, wait for the computer to learn driving habits and are happy with their trucks, myself included. I didn't freak out, currently have 7500 miles on my truck and couldn't be happier with the way it shifts. It shifted funny when I got it, I read threads on here about the learning process and waited it out, and like I said, couldn't be happier. You only have 1000 miles on yours. The problem is dealers aren't cluing customers in on this. I'm sure if people heard from their salesman "this trans is so advanced, it LEARNS how you drive! Isn't that cool? But you have to break it in and let it run it's course.", they would think it's no big deal.

3) Some people are possibly confusing harsh 2-1 downshifting with a slip yoke that needs regreasing. There are threads on it, there should be a TSB coming up for it if there already isn't one. Characteristics will be feeling like the rear end is jerking when coming to a stop or starting from a stop.

Every vehicle has it's flaws, no matter how much you spend on it. I've owned trucks from all of the Big 3 as well as Toyota and Nissan. They all have their flaws one way or another.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:05 AM

Military patience. Haha. As SFC stated, with time will come a smoother transmission. Still wish we could get a manual though...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:19 AM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya a manual would be great.I was talking to a guy at local lift shop last week,and he heard a rumor from ford that the next generations of the f-150 they are thinking about bringing back manual if the customer wants one.Now if this is true,i don't know,just rumors tho.It has gotten back to ford that allot of ppl have been un-happy with totally getting rid of the manual.If they do release a customer order manual on the next generation f-150's,oh ya,I'm their.

Quick Reply: 2010 6 speed tranny