Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

All terrains with minimal road noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default All terrains with minimal road noise

Scratch my Roush post from earlier. Even if they are backordered, I'm sure there are better wheel/tire combos out there for the money. Little research has me landing on the BFG KO2's which seem to be a heavy favorite on the forums. Those of you that have those, how is the road noise? Those of you that have others, what's your road noise like?

The only "off roading" I do is some gravel travel when I'm headed out fishing. Other than that there's no real need for giant tires like this, they just look great. Being that I'm driving local 85% of the time, highway maybe 10% and "off roading" 5% I'm looking for a tire that's obviously dependable but that stays relatively quiet when on the local roads/expressway. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market myself as well. I've heard several good opinions on the cooper AT3. It's more neutral, but alloy of people apparently consider it the best all around all terrain. 55,000 mile tread warranty as well. I may be ordering mine tmw
Old 11-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard this too. Seems that the KO2 is the crowd favorite and Toyo is up there too among others I'm sure. My main thing is road noise; obviously you're getting more of it driving highway with tread like this, but I'm leaning towards more of a pavement tire being that I don't see myself off-roading unless it's gravel trails to my fishing pits. Keep us posted on the ride/noise. If you feel it's appropriate, money may talk for me on these tires.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

city driving here with KO2's. the road noise is there only because it was dead quiet with stock tires. though the noise is not obnoxious like those other tires i'm sure you've heard, probably on jeeps (at least around here). it's really not noticeable unless the cab is quiet and no radio, you can slightly hear it.

only off-roading is on the beach but i wouldn't call it "off-road" driving. the tires are great and i really like them. glad i went with them.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Toyo Open Country A/T II
Hankook Dynapro ATM
BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2

These seem to be the crowd favorites at the Ford dealership I'm at. Ford started putting the Dynapro on 2015+ F150s with 20" wheels and I've never seen so many people wanting to buy another set of the tires that came on their truck.

I've personally been a huge fan of Toyos for many years and also have many of my customers request them even though Ford doesn't sell them through their tire program so we end up having to find them elsewhere.

The first two are both very quiet and comfortable yet incredibly capable tires that eat up the Colorado conditions like nothing. The BFG has been the quintessential all-terrain for years and years but with the KO2 it seems to be like 70/30 between people that love them and people that feel they were utterly ripped off. I have noticed quite a bit of uneven wear on the KO2s even for those who balance them every time, have their truck properly aligned and tires properly inflated. but BFG doesn't offer any tread warranty at all on them. But the people that don't have issues with them love them for the same reason anyone else does, they're quiet and long-lasting and do well in whatever you throw at them.

So there's my two cents. Tires mostly come down to opinions and anecdotes anyway, and I've heard many great things about Coopers but never had any experience with them myself.
The following users liked this post:
Purduephigam (11-27-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I've run Coopers on several vehicles over the years, the A/T3's are their best tire yet. When new they are very quiet and ride smooth. I have a set on my Tacoma with 48,000 miles on them and I'm certain I could get 55,000+ out of them, maybe closer to 60,000 on the light weight Tacoma. But I'm not the type of guy who runs tires to the minimum legal tread depth. I'll probably replace them within another 5000-6000 miles.

As they have worn down noise has increased somewhat and they needed to be re-balanced at each rotation since about 40,000 miles, but I think I only notice it because the Tacoma isn't as quiet inside or rides as good as my Ford. Traction in all conditions has exceeded expectations. Especially in mud and ice/snow.

I really didn't expect much in mud, but found myself in a situation off road that turned out much worse than I anticipated after it was too late to back out. Thought I was going to bury my Taco for sure, but a little wheel speed slung out the mud and I kept moving enough to get through. I don't think any AT tire including the BFG's would have done any better. Only a true mud tire.

I put a set on F-150 last day of October. Cooper runs a rebate quite often and that was the last day for a $70 rebate. I wrote the check for $703 and after rebate will have $633 in these.

I went to P265/70/18's instead of the stock size. They are about 1/2" taller and 1/2" narrower. I like a thinner tire and it creates the illusion they are taller than they really are. Gives me a little more clearance to run tire chains too. This is a 32.6" tire and as big as I want.

They ride a little stiffer than the factory Goodyears, which I consider a good thing. I can't hear a thing inside the Ford. So far I really like them

The following users liked this post:
Purduephigam (11-27-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

BFG vote here, but I only have personal experience with Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG's. Both are great tires, and will last a very long time with proper inflation and rotations. BFG's are a bit pricey though, but I believe you get what you pay for.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

I also forgot, I have almost zero road noise and absolutely zero vibrations. These tires are super quiet. I keep my PSI around 38-40. Gives me a soft and quiet ride, and so far the tread is wearing nicely.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just put on Nitto Terra Grappler G2's 35x12.5-20
They are louder than the stock tires but it doesn't bother me.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts

Just put on a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are louder than stock but in the grand scheme of things, hardly noticeable.