Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Aftermarket wheels and sensors ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheels and sensors ???

The shop that put my wheels on for me said I would need to get new bands for my tire pressure sensors.Can someone tell me how the sensors are being mounted on aftermarket wheels.I was looking at the band and they dont look adjustable or reuseable.Im driving right now without the sensors and the light is annoying.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM

I have aftermarket wheels and tires and to make a long story short I had my lift, wheels and tires done at the same time. I drove home from the shop with no problems. I unloaded the old factory wheels and tires out of my truck when I got home and BINGO!, on comes the tire pressure light. I call the shop and they asked if it came on after I took the wheels out of the back of the truck and I said yes. That is when they explained that the sensor in the truck monitors five tire pressure sensors and since the spare was still under the truck that if I took it out the light would go off. I am not even sure if I can still use the spare since I have a lift, but I have been tempted to take the spare out and see what happens. I wonder if there is a way to disable that feature without removing the spare?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:53 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Ford should be able to provide you with new pressure sensors. The owners manual should be able to tell you how to calibrate them. On Gm's youhave to take a horseshoe magnet and go to each wheel to calibrate them.I don't know what it takes on a Ford.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 AM

I am in the same situation as Bama150. My owners manual doesn't give much info about the sensors and that light does get annoying! Bama, did you try the removing the spare thing yet?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:01 PM

I have heard that they go inside the tire around the wheel. I agree the light is very annoying!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 PM

I definatly dont think that removing the spare will make the light go off. That is not a good idea at all. If you want the light to go off you have to get new sensors installed. Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:29 PM

Big Dog,

I am thinking about the spare tire since I am on vacation. I will try and let you know.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM

The tire pressure sensors are only in the four main wheels. The spare has no sensor in it. One way to get rid of the light is to put the sensors from your factory wheels into your new wheels. If you are in the situation I am in, (I switch back to my factory wheels for winter) you have two options, you can either put the sensors from your factory wheels into a piece of pvc and seal it. Put a schrader valve in it and pressureize it to 33 psi. Put it under your seat or under your dash. This will make the computer think that the tires are pressurized. I am working on another solution as we speak. As soon as I have time I plan on measuring the current draw across the LED, and putting a resitor in-line to "turn off" the light. As soon as I get around to that I will post up the info. 60 hours a week kind of limits my free time for stuff like this.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take the 4 sensors, get some PVC pipe, and some end caps.

find a tire valve and fit it into one of the end caps. put the sensors in the PVC tube and using pipe cement put the end caps on, then pressurize the home made tube to the proper PSI and place it under the front seat or somewhere where the monitor will get the signal.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too sure where the light is you all are refering to, as I only had my truck for a lil over a month (light has not lit yet)... But is it possible to remove the instrument cluster and remove the lil light bulb out from behind it?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket wheels and sensors ???