Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation > Stereo/Audio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default XM Antenna Question

I ordered an XM tuner module to go with my aftermarket radio and had a question about the antenna...

I know that there are some issues with my current antenna and it "searching for service"... I was wondering if I'd have that issue with the new XM setup if I used the factory antenna or if I should replace the antenna with the one that comes with the tuner.

Obviously, I don't want to replace anything that I don't have to since I can use the factory antenna on the aftermarket tuner... but if it's going to have issue with the signal, I'll replace everything.

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Where do you live? I've noticed over the years that living in the north east as winter rolls in, satellite signals seem to drop a bit. This goes for my xm as well as direct.
06 XLT, de badged & chromed, Rancho quick lifts, Fuel 18's, Nitto 35's, ATS flares, K&N cai, Edge evo, Pioneer H/U, Focal components in kicks, Focal coaxials in rear doors, 2 JL Audio 10W3V4 in a sealed enclosure, JL Audio Slash 300/4, JL Audio Slash 500/1, Knukoncepts wiring.
06Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Beast View Post
Where do you live? I've noticed over the years that living in the north east as winter rolls in, satellite signals seem to drop a bit. This goes for my xm as well as direct.
Texas. But I also thought I read a thread on here somewhere about the signal going in and out being an issue on the truck... was never an issue on my old truck(not an F150), and I don't think ever.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
I ordered an XM tuner module to go with my aftermarket radio and had a question about the antenna...

I know that there are some issues with my current antenna and it "searching for service"... I was wondering if I'd have that issue with the new XM setup if I used the factory antenna or if I should replace the antenna with the one that comes with the tuner.

Obviously, I don't want to replace anything that I don't have to since I can use the factory antenna on the aftermarket tuner... but if it's going to have issue with the signal, I'll replace everything.

Thoughts?
If you have a problem now with the signal then it is either the antenna or the factory XM unit. I would try the factory antenna and if it is bad then use the new one.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

Just changed my factory HU with aftermarket. I left the factory Sirius/Xm antenna intact and connected it to the aftermarket HU, haven't noticed any difference in signal quality at all. You'd probably be better off using the factory Sirius antenna already installed on the truck, don't think their is any difference between the two unless you want two antennas.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel70 View Post
Just changed my factory HU with aftermarket. I left the factory Sirius/Xm antenna intact and connected it to the aftermarket HU, haven't noticed any difference in signal quality at all. You'd probably be better off using the factory Sirius antenna already installed on the truck, don't think their is any difference between the two unless you want two antennas.
This will be fine unless there is something wrong with the factory antenna. He said his signal was searching for service.
"I know that there are some issues with my current antenna and it "searching for service"
Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #7

I may have to use the aftermarket antenna... The new radio and xm don't seem to get a signal with the factory antenna
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
I may have to use the aftermarket antenna... The new radio and xm don't seem to get a signal with the factory antenna
Scratch that. In my haste of wiring the entire system... at some point the antenna came unplugged from the XM tuner
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 PM