Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

For those with 4.2" screen... Anyone added aftermarket nav by modding factory bezel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with 4.2" screen... Anyone added aftermarket nav by modding factory bezel?

Whats up everyone? I was just wondering if anyone out there had decided to keep their factory center stack and just cut/mod the top where the 4.2" screen is to fit a 7 or 8" aftermarket navigation?

Or, has anyone maybe tried to use the factory navigation bezel to install an aftermarket setup?

I could honestly care less about keeping or losing SYNC. I talked to a car audio guy the other day about doing some custom work (cutting and possibly molding if needed) to install either a kenwood or alpine nav system that would allow me to retain my factory A/C controls and lower part of the center stack, but he couldn't really give me an estimate because he didn't know what kind of room was behind the 4.2" screen to fit an aftermarket setup.

He suggested if I don't want to use Metra or Scosche that I just wait to see what kind of perfect fit solution Alpine brings out for us.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Lots of people have fitted ipad mini's, and android tablets to do away with or relocate the mini screen, I my self am about to embark on just such a mod as soon as the bezel I bought arrives.

Found it on ebay for a decent price thanks to the forum member @Hotcat in this thread. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-ipa...0/#post3536553

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-01-2014 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Hotcat (07-01-2014), ntxf150 (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the reply! I really want to get something figured out if I can. I'm just tired of waiting on Alpine and I'm not interested in the other stuff out there right now. I may pull the dash apart this weekend to measure depth and see what kind of room there is to fit something. If so, I may look into finding another bezel like yours or trimming my factory one.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ntxf150
Thanks for the reply! I really want to get something figured out if I can. I'm just tired of waiting on Alpine and I'm not interested in the other stuff out there right now. I may pull the dash apart this weekend to measure depth and see what kind of room there is to fit something. If so, I may look into finding another bezel like yours or trimming my factory one.

Check out the thread link I posted, very detailed and should be a good starting point to help guide you. I'm going to use it as a base starting point as well.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Check out the thread link I posted, very detailed and should be a good starting point to help guide you. I'm going to use it as a base starting point as well.

Will do... What are you planning to install if you dont mind me asking?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Will do... What are you planning to install if you dont mind me asking?
Android tablet, have a cheapola 7" on the way because it was on sale and matches the dimensions of the bezel fairly close. What I end up using for the long haul is still up in the air. Looking strongly at a Nexus 7.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Master FORD tech

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

No need to pull the dash pieces to check. There's plenty room back there once the 4.2" screen and upper radio buttons are out of the way. Once the factory radio is gone the radio buttons on the bezel are useless. May I ask why your so dead set on going with the Alpine unit, or another aftermarket radio?

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Great thread
Old 07-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Android tablet, have a cheapola 7" on the way because it was on sale and matches the dimensions of the bezel fairly close. What I end up using for the long haul is still up in the air. Looking strongly at a Nexus 7.
Sounds good. Post some pics when you get it done!

Originally Posted by Hotcat
No need to pull the dash pieces to check. There's plenty room back there once the 4.2" screen and upper radio buttons are out of the way. Once the factory radio is gone the radio buttons on the bezel are useless. May I ask why your so dead set on going with the Alpine unit, or another aftermarket radio?
Thanks thats good to hear on the room part. I'm not worried about the buttons on the side/top. Would I lose the use of the volume and tune buttons too though? I thought I would be able to keep those functions using the Maestro adapter?

Wanting to go aftermarket for a few reasons. First, I am planning to install some better speakers and either one or two subs to get some better sound and control. Second, I want in dash Navigation/DVD player. Third, I want to hook up a backup camera straight to the head unit instead of buying and using a rear view mirror.

Actually, probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if you can use the instrument cluster display for a backup camera?

Thanks again for the help and info!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Master FORD tech

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds good. Post some pics when you get it done!

Thanks thats good to hear on the room part. I'm not worried about the buttons on the side/top. Would I lose the use of the volume and tune buttons too though? I thought I would be able to keep those functions using the Maestro adapter?

Wanting to go aftermarket for a few reasons. First, I am planning to install some better speakers and either one or two subs to get some better sound and control. Second, I want in dash Navigation/DVD player. Third, I want to hook up a backup camera straight to the head unit instead of buying and using a rear view mirror.

Actually, probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if you can use the instrument cluster display for a backup camera?

Thanks again for the help and info!
All of the buttons on the control panel for the radio will not work once the stock radio is removed. I did some research on that Maestro and found that they do not offer it for the myford/myford touch systems.

You can use the line out converter to add the amps to your factory radio. A tablet has a variety of navigation apps. Who wants to carry around DVDs? upload them to the tablet and have access to them all the time. You can get a Bluetooth backup camera and open the app to see the camera image. Or if you already have a stock backup camera you will just need the transmitter and tap into your video signal wires.

No you cannot use the cluster screen for your camera.

Tablets are far more capable than any radio. Using the sync system with a tablet has been done many times. Keeping the factory radio to be the brains of the operation also keeps things like vehicle health report, 911 assist, mobile apps/services... Why have a USB, auxiliary input and sattelite antenna that dont work, just to have an aftermarket unit that will never compare to a tablet.

Last edited by Hotcat; 07-04-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: For those with 4.2" screen... Anyone added aftermarket nav by modding factory bezel?