Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Reverse Camera Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Camera Wiring

I am installing a reverse camera and I have a simple, I hope, wiring question. I have seen on this and other forums, guys doing the same thing and they have a hard time trying to locate the reverse wire, both color and location, in the cab to wire to their HU reverse wire.

So this is my question - you have to wire the power for the camera to the reverse wire at the back of your truck, be it the reverse light itself or the reverse wire on the trailer harness. Why can't you at the same time attach another wire and then run it along with the RCA cable for the camera to the front of the truck. Is there anything "technically" wrong with this way? Thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with what you suggest, some just like to get away with a simpler or closer connection. Only drawback to using reverse as power for the camera is that it will only have power in reverse. Some setups allow you to force the camera on at any time which may or may not be appealing to you, but would require a different power connection.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply MKC70, yea I didn't really want the camera to operate at other times… and if I am not mistaking it is not legal to have it that way where I live.

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera Wiring