Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Component or Coaxial

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component or Coaxial

I just got a 2004 F150 STX (single cab) and the speakers are awful. I don't have tweeter holes but everyone says if you can... go component. I have 6x8 in all four doors but the back have a shorter depth than the front. Any ideas on how I can set up my truck for the best sound. I was looking into Alpine Type R and Infinity Kappa.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 PM
2013 King Ranch EB GemGrn

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

The reason components sound so much better is because they efficiently split frequencies to the right speaker. Your door speakers now are wasting energy trying to hit all the notes with the entire speaker.

If you care about sound quality at all, then components are going to make you happier, but you'll also spend more money. The balance is where your dollar will play a factor.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would you go about connecting the front components to an audiophile system with two plugs on the back of the speaker I'm flustered ha I have some but not sure how to connect them? Wire colors etc
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

TxForce,

Regardless of which speakers you install, you will not get the full benefit of your investment if the placement is poor. You will want to place the tweeters up high and in clear view of the listeners. If you can't see the tweeter, you won't be able to hear the tweeter!

The stock speaker locations are picked out by tone deaf engineers that don't listen to anything but AM radio. Trust me....I know some of these clowns personally!!! I will also refrain from using any of their names.

Like many of the Ford products, the drivers side speaker is hidden behind the drivers leg once the door is closed. This is the equivalent of listening to your home stereo in the next room and wondering why there doesn't seem to be any left to right stereo differences and seems to be a bit muffled. What I have done before is place the tweeter in the front corner of the door panel. The part that sticks up by the mirror. For a really slick install, mount the tweeter through a hole in the panel (yes, you need to make a hole in the door panel). Hot melt glue and super glue are your best friends for this. Once the tweeters have been mounted to the door panel (and just behind the opening in the door panel) cover that whole corner with a piece of speaker box carpeting. Make sure that carpet is "non-Backed" or you will block the sound of the tweeter. Mask off the door where the carpet will be located and shoot some 3M 77 adhesive on the door and the back of the carpet. Wait 5 minutes and assemble!!!! My sixteen year old son just did his and it was his first try...and I didn't give him any suggestions either...it turned out awesome. This is how those "professionals" do it at the car stereo place too.

Everything for this project can be purchased online from Partsexpress.com. I have been purchasing this stuff from these guys for over 20 years (damn time flies) and I have nothing but praise for these guys!!!

The last vehicle I worked on is my 2004 Mini Cooper. You can find pictures of that install over at MetroPlexMini.org. The name of the car...? dB.Cooper of course!!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

BAD-DOG has good advice. The high frequencies are very directional: that's why it's so important that they be at ear level or near ear level. Whereas low frequencies can travel around and through barriers, high frequencies cannot. Mid-range frequencies should also be as close to ear-level as possible, but they are more flexible. But the placement of speakers low on the door is not ideal by any means.

Quick Reply: Component or Coaxial