Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello/Point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello/Point me in the right direction

Okay I'll try to not make this too long. I have 1990 Ford F150, nice truck if only it would be more dependable. My problem/question is I believe electrical in nature but basically this is what happens. I can start my truck and sometimes it runs perfect, idles good, and shifts good (automatic). However other times it will start super rough, idling from 400 to 1500 rpms, shift like it is wired up for racing or it will even slip out of gear. The other catch to this is that when it does do good I can be driving and it will shut itself off, i.e. just die and then will not start for a day or two.
I have already replaced fuel filter, oil pump (not related), map sensor, ignition module, ignition coil, O2 sensor and regular coil. Every time I think I have it fixed about three hours later I end up walking home. Please, if you have any idea or have dealt with a similar problem, please send me in the right direction.
thanks for your time
Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Welcome to the site! Check the computer for codes, this will tell you how:
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/
Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Thank you Sean but unfortunately the code connector part for the truck is no longer there. I think the previous owner removed it, otherwise I wish I could.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
We'd do it

Even if the connector is gone, the wires will still be there. It is a necessary part that will need to be located and fixed if you ever want the truck to run right. While they are usually plugged into a plastic holder near the air box, mine are just laying in the engine compartment on the drivers side near the firewall. If you can't find the connector, find the wires that are hanging loose and I will look up the colors so you can use them to check your codes. I will need the engine size to look up the wire colors.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Pimp

I always wonder what makes people do things like remove important parts. Good chance that may even be the problem. Either way, good luck and welcome.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeromyrbinkansas
Okay I'll try to not make this too long. I have 1990 Ford F150, nice truck if only it would be more dependable.

Ford= Most dependable longest lasting trucks on the road. Need I say more???
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back, and yes I would very much appreciate it if you could get the wire codes that I need to bypass the computer code checker (sorry don't know the correct term). I have the book for Fords trucks and it really does not get very specific. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 PM

Yeah sorry the engine size is a V-8 5.0 I believe, thanks again.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 AM
We'd do it

You are looking for a group of wires which hopefully are at least still taped together even if they don't have the connector anymore. The colors will be white with a purple stripe, tan with an orange stripe, pink with a light blue stripe, dark green with a yellow stripe, light blue with an orange stripe, and there may also be a pink with a light green stripe.

Quick Reply: Hello/Point me in the right direction