Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 F150 5.0 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 F150 5.0 Starting Problems

Ive got a 92 f150 5.0 4x4 and each time i attempt to start it i get in the truck and turn it over to start and all it does is crank and crank to what i believe to be an extensive amount of time and usually starts but not always. ive replaced plugs, wires, cap , rotor, coil and problems still exists. it runs alot better once its running but its hard to start. The battery and starter are in good shape, any suggestions? fuel pump? its only got 133,000 on it. any suggestions would be great thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Welcome to the site! Try changing the fuel filter and also do a fuel pressure test. I like to read codes first to see if there is anything stored in the computer.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 starting problems

thanks for you support. i put on a new fuel filter and that didnt help the problem. i was also told that a coolant temp sensor could cause this problem. also i was told that it could be the ignition module. Basically i only have a real problem when its either warm outside or when the engine is at operating temperature.(sorry forgot to add that in my first post) i replaced the fuel pump relay and that didnt solve my problems either. i thought it may be the fuel pump but when i changed my filter and relieved the system of fuel pressure it seemed to have good fuel pressure, also it runs like a bat out of hell at full throttle so i have a hard time believing its the fuel pump(s) . but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks again everyone .
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Have the ignition module tested at the parts store. Don't just buy one, they can test it easily.
Have you checked for codes yet? You can do this yourself with a paperclip or piece of wire.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A couple of ideas, you will need a fuel pressure gauge and spark tester. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, turn ignition on and off several times to verify pressure is at rail. Have someone try to start engine as you are verifying spark. If it still takes a long time to ignite, do it again but listen for injector clicking. If these are present and still a delayed lite off, take a compression test.

Quick Reply: 92 F150 5.0 Starting Problems