Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Truck covers bad for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Truck covers bad for paint?

Howdy guys,
I recently bought a truck cover from Empire covers to protect my truck while I'm offshore for a month at a time. I recently heard though that this can do more harm than good to your paint if you cover your truck unless it is perfectly clean, because it will just rub the road grime into your paint...
Any opinions on this?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to make sure the truck Is clean as well as the cover. Otherwise you may get spider web scratches or swirls. Depending on your trucks color, you may not even notice!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree the truck would need to be clean before putting it on to avoid possible damage to your paint.. I've had an oem cover that I've been using on my truck for few years now with no issues what's so ever.. I even top it with a eBay cheep cover to protect the oem one . Also just make sure the cover fits as snug as possible so it doesn't flap in the wind, which is another way it could possibly damage the paint.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm new to the site and it's great to see how people help each other out.
Regarding the covers, that's too bad because I have a six hour drive to where I work and it's impossible to clean the truck when I get there.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

KingRanchAg, you can take a spray bottle of Meguire's detail spray and a couple of microfiber cloths and spray down and wipe the top of the hood and the top of the cab before putting on the cover and that will do a good job of keeping the areas where rubbing occurs from getting scratched.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

That's what we're here for!

Just clean it before and wipe it down quick when u arrive. Don't sweat it.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

even the best cover will allow dust to get between the paint and cover for that extended period of time with it being outside. It is however the lesser of two evils, uncovered it could get a lot of fallout and bird bombs that will damage the paint for that amount of time. strap it down as tight can you can so it won't flap, clean and dry it well before applying the cover, and that is the best you can do.

Cheers,
GREG
The following users liked this post:
KingRanchAg (10-14-2014)

Quick Reply: Truck covers bad for paint?