Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

New '14 Lariat - Sealer or Wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New '14 Lariat - Sealer or Wax

So I traded in my Silver 2012 XLT and upgraded to a loaded 2014 Lariat, Ruby Red Metallic Tinted.

Living in Florida and about 1/2-3/4 of a mile from the beach, I obviously want to try and keep my paint job looking nice. When winds are high here, I get a salty film on the vehicle, and want to do what's best to keep it from being damaged (I wish I had a garage).

My question is, should I use a Sealer (Meguiar's M21) every 5-6 months or when needed, or just go with a good wax every couple months?

I'm assuming from what I've read, that the sealer may be the way to go, and some articles even mention wax on top of the sealer (for that wicked shine).

Thoughts?

Name:  DSC05881_zps45ec9510.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  1,009.3 KB

Last edited by Daimyo68; 12-12-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

I've never used sealers

I prefer to wax every month
Old 12-13-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that using a sealer first then topping with a good carnauba works well and would make your red pop.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 AM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Daimyo68
So I traded in my Silver 2012 XLT and upgraded to a loaded 2014 Lariat, Ruby Red Metallic Tinted. Living in Florida and about 1/2-3/4 of a mile from the beach, I obviously want to try and keep my paint job looking nice. When winds are high here, I get a salty film on the vehicle, and want to do what's best to keep it from being damaged (I wish I had a garage). My question is, should I use a Sealer (Meguiar's M21) every 5-6 months or when needed, or just go with a good wax every couple months? I'm assuming from what I've read, that the sealer may be the way to go, and some articles even mention wax on top of the sealer (for that wicked shine). Thoughts?
that is one sexy truck. I like it.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a Solstice that is "summer only" and for the last 2 years go through the same routine every late winter getting it ready for driving season.

Wash, clay bar, polish (foam pad and Meguiar's cleaning polish), seal, and wax. Generally that lasts the entire driving "season". The sealant I've used is a Klasse product. I had never used sealants before and THOUGHT I was putting it own sparingly but apparently not. It was a real bear to buff out!

Throughout the summer I just do a quick wash when necessary then use water magnets to dry. Stays looking great.

Just bought a '12 Lariat Screw this fall and have done this procedure on it and it looks great. The truck will see limited travel during the snow months, but so far (2.5 months) it still looks great with a quick wash and dry.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

I am sold on sealers. Vette forum guys turned me on to product called rejex that is really durable, great shine and not an arm breaker to use. Autogeek gave it props as well. My wife has a black mdx that I struggle to keep up on and the rejex has really worked out well on that truck. I use blackfire on my vette and it is a ridiculous shine but that car rarely sees more than rain so not sure about the durability. When I use the rejex up the blackfire will be rotated to the daily drivers and then I will know how durable it really is. It takes so little to do a vehicle that I would have the bottle for 10 years if I didn't rotate them around for usage.

Your truck looks awesome! Guys on here love colonite and it is on my list to try. I would be a maniac on that ruby red especially living down south, that color really pops in the sun and will look custom to most people with a good detail.

Quick Reply: New '14 Lariat - Sealer or Wax