Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

were the 12th gen F150 cannibalizing business?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default were the 12th gen F150 cannibalizing business?

With more demands for better fuel economy and yet enough duty to carry sufficient payload & tow... are perhaps the new half ton market going the "other way" and going to release less capable trucks?

Why I'm eluding to this, is that Ram for instance, moved their half ton to the coil spring package and this has significant impact to both payload and towing regardless of configuration. That being said... for 90% of light truck purchasers perhaps this is "a-okay" as it drives "nicer".

Also, even though the HEMI is still the workhorse in the lineup, the new 3.0L ecodiesel (though torquey) really lacks towing capability on "paper".

For the 2015, 13th gen... Its seemingly like the push is to drive for more efficiencies and in my mind, there is no doubt that this new 2.7 is revolutionary.
However, looking at how they are not only making significant changes to the body, introducing the 2.7 eco... but also moving from Box to C frame

perhaps the purpose is to introduce the most "efficient" and capable enough truck, falling well within the "half ton" specifications, but offering less towing/payload and strength.

I'm thinking that this is a smart move for Ford, as it really then draws a line in the sand between their half ton and their SuperDuty trucks.

Whereas this current 12th gen Eco/6.2 max tow with the 156 wheelbase & HD payload package really already offers capabilities well into the F250 Superduty non-diesel range.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

perhaps the purpose is to introduce the most "efficient" and capable enough truck, falling well within the "half ton" specifications, but offering less towing/payload and strength.
You need to go to the 2015 thread.

The towing and payload numbers are there, and they are not "less".

Even the backbone of the F-150 is brand new. It features an improved fully boxed ladder frame with more high-strength steel––rated at up to 70,000 psi––making it stronger than many competitors’ heavy-duty trucks and lighter than ever before.

Last edited by All Hat No Cattle; 09-30-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

My payload capacity has been reached when the bumpstops contact the frame.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by All Hat No Cattle
You need to go to the 2015 thread.

The towing and payload numbers are there, and they are not "less".
but the vehicle overall weighs 700lbs less... so that contributes to the gvwr
Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Idk if you were alluding to a possibly future C-Frame, but the upcoming body style is definitely not a C-Frame. Fully boxed and the best thing they ever did to these trucks IMO.

Quick Reply: were the 12th gen F150 cannibalizing business?