Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid rubber mount or regular mount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default solid rubber mount or regular mount?

i got a 4.9l 93 f150 5spd 4x4. ive had problems in the past with my trans mound breaking and i think its because my drivers side motor mount is broken. i went to the auto parts store and looked they have a regualr and solid rubber motor mount. which one would be better the solid rubber or the reg?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Motor mounts

Originally Posted by |WYG|SS
i went to the auto parts store and looked they have a regualr and solid rubber motor mount. which one would be better the solid rubber or the reg?
I assume you do not currently have a solid mount. My experience, they were used in situations like racing where you wished to limit engine movement, etc. Solids helped prevent engine movement but also made the vehicle more harsh than the oem ones. I'd go with what was on there the in the first place.

Paul
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

the only thing is that im breaking them cause i beat the hell out of the truck.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Mounts

If you're that rough, then it comes down to which you'd rather replace: mounts or transmission cases? One or the other has to give, pick which you'd like to replace and there's your answer.

Paul
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Its Not A Z71...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant imagine a 4.9 breaking motor mounts that quick. hell, my 5.0L see's redline 30-60 seconds at a time through the mud a few times a month and hasnt worn out a motor mount yet.... i would think just a regular replacement would hold it. i dont see what kind of stress a 4.9 could put that motor mount through.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go solid, you will have to replace both motor mounts as well as the trans mount. or the movement of the regular mount will affect the solid one you put in. They are not supposed to move. The movement of the regular one will eventually tear apart the solid one, believe it or not.

They are also very diffcult to install if your frame rails are not perfectly straight.

When you replace all of them with solids you will probably not be happy with the extra vibration and rattling in your truck.

George

Quick Reply: solid rubber mount or regular mount?