Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idling

Help! I own a 2005 f-150 with a V-6
Had the transmission rebuild and the battery was disconnected for 2 days while the work was being done. Now the idle is 2 low while in park or standing in gear. Wants to stall. I was told there is no adjustment. It just has to relearn that was 2 days ago. ANY suggestions
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

It can take a while for them to relearn. More than likely, your throttle body is dirty, and that slows down the relearn. Clean the throttle body, and disconnect the battery. Start it up, and put in gear. Leave it in gear for a few minutes, and it should be okay within a day or so. Normal.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
KingRanchMike8

Here is what you need to do :
Remove the ( plastic ) air intake and clean the air intake with carb cleaner, toothbrush ( and elbow grease )
After that scan and erase the error code and you are done.
This happens a lot with used trucks after the battery was disconnected because the resting position of the flapper in front of the air intake is constantly changing due to carbon buildup. The on board computer is learning to adjust to it and every thing is fine.
When you disconnect the battery the computer jumps back to the default reading of that flapper ( as if it was still clean and still rested in it's original position ) but since it's dirty now - there is a miss agreement between the computer and the flapper positioning sensor.
Like I said, it's Childs play easy to fix and with nothing to buy.
Actually it's so easy to fix that it would take you less time to fox than if took to read all that I've written here.
Hood luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
KingRanchMike8

Sorry for few words that didn't make sense , curtesy of the auto correction of my iPhone.
Mike

Quick Reply: Rough idling