General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about truck cap seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Question about truck cap seal

I just ordered my first (fiberglass) truck cap that I will be installing myself. The dealer wanted too much to install it because it would include electrical work. I can handle all that.
I bought the proper clamps and electrical connection (which I connected myself).
I was wondering about if the cap will scratch that plastic cap on the rails of the truck or is that what the rubber or foam seal protects?
Can I just buy something from Home Depot or do I need rubber like shown in this picture?
Does the cap sit flush on the flat top of the rail?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

• would opt for the seal that you have pic'ed.
  • the cap (should) sit flush with the top of the bed rail, though some models have an overhang that extends slightly beyond it. *Depends upon the cap.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you install your truck cap from new and if so, did that sealing material come with the cap or did you have to buy that separately?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the cap I have had a built in seal. I would be a little surprised if they didn't all come with one.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

That is some fancy seal you show in the pic. All I've ever seen used was flat. If the front bed rail is lower then the sides. You'll need to add two or three layers up there to match the height of the foam on the side rails...Hint/Tip.....Joe should of mentioned this...Joe your slipping..
Old 10-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to install caps/toppers, the company your buying it from should have install tape there. Id buy a roll of that. We used a 2 inch wide foam tape, worked awesome. Yes you will need to tape the front rail up to get it to seal. I would not put the tape on the truck, keep it on the cap/topper, that way if you remove it, you wont have the chance to damage the tape. Also, put about a extra 8 inch section of tape on the back buy the door, along the rail. This will help giving you a little extra clearance so the rear window frame clears the tail gate. Don't over tighten the clamps either, you can really damage the frame of the cap/topper, and you bed rails, fiberglass also.

Quick Reply: Question about truck cap seal