Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options pkgs = unnecessary options (really?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Options pkgs = unnecessary options (really?)

When I bought my 2012 F150 XLT I was not actively shopping. I saw it on the street side of the dealer's lot and the "golden bronze metallic" was shining in the sun. I was taking my wife to a Walmart close by, so I dropped her off and drove back to look at the the truck. It was fresh on the lot , from another dealer having been brought in for a customer who then turned it down. It was well appointed with all the major components I look for, but was a "dealer pkg" w/ stuff i did not want or need. Big signs say , Mgrs Special, etc.

Salesman stopped by and gave me the "elevator pitch" and said "take it for a drive." But I had to leave to pickup the wife. On the way home, wife says how was it. I say "nice, but expensive," The next day on the way to church we drive by the lot and I look as we pass. Wife says "you like it?" Me "yeah". As we are leaving church she says "let's go look." We stop to look, and the same saleman comes up "You were here looking at the brown truck.?" He immediately says take it for a drive. We return and the saleman asks if we are interested in running the numbers, We did. My response was "too much",

I was driving a 2000 F350 "built by me". It was my baby. Salesman says trade? I say no, He says " that couple on the couch want your truck. They have been waiting since you left." and hands me the guy's card w/ $ offer.. Then he says "it is between you two. He will pay me a finders fee." HMMM.....

So the only thing left is the new truck is too many gadgets and still too many $$$$$. The sales mgr comes over and points at me."Brown truck? What will it take to close today?" I tell him I don't want to pay for options I don't want. Gen Mgr pokes his head in. Whats it gonna take?. Same conversation. Then GM says. Do you want that brown truck? Me. Yeah. He says, we have given you all the discounts avail. Me: Cut the options $$$$. He then smiles and says "I hate brown trucks" and turns to sales and says sell him the truck. We cut a reasonable deal. I saved a few $, they made quota and a few $$. I still don't fully understand the "brown truck" comments.

As I said there were unwanted options, one being Heated Mirriors. This week we have experienced freezing rain and freezing fog. I was unable to see through mirrors. Suddenly I remembered the heated mirrors! Dug out the users manuals ..... hey, I have HEATED mirrors
The following users liked this post:
gcdidthis (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 02:18 PM
I'd rather be sailing.

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

LOL! Congrats on a good story!
I too have bought vehicles with to many options!
Suddenly auto tinting mirrors are cool! etc.
Yeah, electric sliding rear window? Gotta have it! Can't reach and slide it anyway!

Congrats!
Scott
Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 150 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats on the new truck! I'm sure that the unnecessary options will become something that you really like.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never used the manual sliding window on my Tacoma but I've found myself using the moonroof and power sliding window instead of the A/C. Having that switch instead of having to jump in the back and do it by hand makes a big difference. Neither the moonroof or power sliding window would have been options I would have ordered on a truck. I'm still trying to figure out why the previous owner of my 2011 ordered every towing option but the backup camera. Seems to me it would be handy if you're hooking up to trailers all the time. No problem though, Camera Source helped me out there.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Yep. Bought a '12 screw lariat. Wife wanted heated seats because she liked them in my 02 superduty. Told her that's a whole new "trim level" to get the heated seats and that comes with a whole bunch of crap I don't want or need.

So it's all her fault that I have navigation, bluetooth, rear camera, power moon roof, power rear window, folding mirrors, premium sound and all that other CRAP

(that I secretly have found to be pretty cool!)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm always of the mind that I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus when it comes time to sell its usually in your favor to have more goodies
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I truly hate buying a new truck. These ****in sales people take all of the enjoyment out of it for me. Constantly lying, back & forth BS...

My current truck took 4 1/2 hrs to purchase. I swear true story. We were $6k apart money wise, and I just kept asking for my keys back(for my SD). Finally I walked over to my old truck and looked for my keys to leave, when the sales manager walks over and asks "where are you going.."? I said I was leaving, and he had the nerve to tell me "not without your new truck you're not".. Just like that, he decides to come to terms with the $6k.

As far as options. I like them all..lol
Old 03-06-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Wish I had that luck.....and brains. Lol. I screwed myself with not getting the truck I wanted in the first place. I now have it, but I'm waaay upside down due to my idiocy. Oh well. When this one is paid off, I'll probably run it until the wheels fall off. I think my next truck will be an older one. Nice story though.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Never seen an unnecessary option Typically they are all pretty cool.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Yep, it's kinda strange how those options we never had turned out to be options we can't do without now.

Quick Reply: Options pkgs = unnecessary options (really?)