General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing new window motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing new window motors?

hey i have to put in 2 new window motors, and i was wondering if that would be easy enough to do at my house or if i should just take it to a shop? thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are and what tools you have. Sometimes the regulator is mounted to the door with rivets, so you would have to drill them out and get bolts to bolt it back in. Rivets aren't always used though. Same with the motor to the regulator, sometimes they use rivets but the new motor usually has those bolts. The regulator is spring loaded to help push the window up, so you need to lock it in place when you remove the motor or you may get injured.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Oh wow ok thanks for the heads up i think my dad and i are goin to try it by ourselves first, then if we run into any problems we will seek professional help..haha
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Default when u get it done

let me know how it is.
i have my drivers side making ugly noises so i know it will go out soon.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM

My 97 F150 has both passenger and driver windows stuck in closed position . I had problems earlier with the passenger window and had it to the dealer 3 X to get repaired. 3rd time they replaced the motor. It worked for a while then it quit .So much for Ford dealership mechanics. Then about three months ago the driver side window crapped out. When I press the door panel located switch,the motor /gear growls . The passenger sw is just dead--no noise. On the drivers side I have removed the trim and door handle down to removing the plastic moisture shield. I have tested the switch contact points with a VOM and they have resistance but I can't get any voltage. I have checked the fuses and the relay and still don't have any idea as to why the windows don't work . The help I need is "How do you get the motor/drive quadrant out? What is the problem if the motor growls but the window won't open? The manuals I have seen are not very clear on trouble shooting or even how to replace a motor in the door or how to trouble shoot the control switches. I would like to hear from any one who has actually worked on power windows in Ford F150's. My 97 has 87K miles.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The grinding is caused by worn gears in the motor or regulator. To check the motor itself, find the 2 wires that go to it. Hook one to power and one to ground and see if it works. Using one wire for ground and the other for power will send it in one direction, and switching the power and ground will send it in the other direction.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM

I'm going to try to find out what's wrong with my driver side motor on my 98 f 100. It goes up fine, but going down, it gets stuck in the center. I have to push it by hand. Any ideas before get started with my plunderous attempts?

Quick Reply: installing new window motors?