General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Shifting

I have a 1995 F150 4x4 with an automatic trans and it has been shifting hard. When I hit the gas and I start going it shifts into 2nd at about 2500-3000 rpms. Also when it does finally shift it is a hard jerk. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bubba
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good Question:

I will assume the tranny is an AODE/4R70W. The hard 1-2 shift may be due to a broken spring on one side of the 1-2 accumulator. A good tranny shop can find that out in about half an hour, and the fix is easy if that turns out to be the problem.

The 1-2 shift at 2500-3000 is not unusual; just don't jump on the throttle so hard.

FYI: The 4R70W in my "new" '97 XLT was shifting well, but a bit on the rough side. I took the truck to my local tranny shop for regular service (new filter, new gasket, drain torque converter, refill w/ new fluid, road test) and the tech there refilled the tran with Chrysler ATF+4.....tran now shifts like a champ, smooth but firm.
More FYI: Chrysler ATF+4 is the finest fluid available. ATF+4 and Mercon V, according to the application specs, are interchangeable; however, ATF+4 outlasts Mercon V by about 50%, and the Chrysler fluid is specifically designed to prevent clutch/band shudder.

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting