Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever see a new truck beat to hell or not taken care of?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Ever see a new truck beat to hell or not taken care of?

Ever see a new or newer truck that just looks like it has been abused or is already beat up? It just makes me cringe at seeing a newer truck that already looks like crap.

Here in Iowa we have a lot of rural communities and farming and construction make up a lot of the employment and economy. Every once and awhile I see a new model year truck that looks like the owner, driver, or company just doesn't care. I understand that many people purchase trucks to actually work with them, but as expensive as they are I think maintaining and taking care of them makes them last a lot longer. I know of some farmers that trade them in and get a new on every year. I dont think they bother to wash or maintain then either.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by IAJack
Ever see a new or newer truck that just looks like it has been abused or is already beat up? It just makes me cringe at seeing a newer truck that already looks like crap.

Here in Iowa we have a lot of rural communities and farming and construction make up a lot of the employment and economy. Every once and awhile I see a new model year truck that looks like the owner, driver, or company just doesn't care. I understand that many people purchase trucks to actually work with them, but as expensive as they are I think maintaining and taking care of them makes them last a lot longer. I know of some farmers that trade them in and get a new on every year. I dont think they bother to wash or maintain then either.
I worked for different companies over the years that had pickups that were beat up in a year or two. Different drivers mostly to blame...some were neat but some were pigs. Many would stop and eat and leave bags of trash and empty cups for someone else to clean. These trucks did log about 50K miles every year so in about 2 or 3 yrs they were ready to be traded in anyway.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Not unique to trucks, many people don't take care of any vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Summers22 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Our "playtime" car is a Solstice. They're rare enough that whenever another one is in the area I tend to notice it. Ran into a guy a couple years ago and it looked like the thing had never been waxed and rarely washed. Made me twitch.

But, to each his own. Some people consider it a waste of time.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

I talked to a lady one time who said would buy a new car and then never change the oil or even have ANY type maintenance performed. She said she would drive it until it gave her problems or would no longer run and then trade it in on another new one.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly, yes. My wife and I made a four hour round trip to look at what I thought was going to be a nice 2014 Lariat 4x4. Turns out it had been beaten to death. The inside smelled worse than some county line juke joint, and the interior looked like it had been used to haul dirt. Needless to say I was ticked off to make that kind of drive to see a vehicle like that.

I don't understand how people can spend that kind of money only to trash the hell out of the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I valet cars in Vegas and its heartbreaking seeing the way people treat their trucks/cars. Maybe I'm overly gentle with mine.

Last edited by dmonahan1; 05-03-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I will always take care of what I own. Especially if I'm still paying for it. In some cases, the way you take care of your vehicle/company vehicle, can be a direct representation on yourself.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I used to be in the uber picky category, now however, the only wax my cars ever see is if I flip for the extra buck at the car wash. I've found it just don't make any measurable difference in the overall ownership experience. I do however draw the line @ eating in the vehicle(s)- I just cannot tolerate the stench or mess.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

My father in law is a farmer. He has two trucks. A farm truck, and a "town" truck. He drives the farm truck around the farm and hog hunting. It is beat to crap. Every panel is dented, or caved in, inch of dirt in the floorboard, dust on the dash you can write a book in, front bumper missing, tape holding in the taillights. But he does keep the maintenance up on it. He drives them until they won't go anymore. Then he turns his other truck into his "new" farm truck, and buys a new "town" truck. It's a funny yet sad (for the truck, bc when he is done, they are basically worthless) cycle. But I can promise he gets his $$ worth out of them.

Quick Reply: Ever see a new truck beat to hell or not taken care of?