General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering First F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering First F150

I am considering purchasing my first full size pickup in a new Ford F150. Before I buy, I have some questions that I hope the members here can help me with. I am new to this forum.

I am retiring in a few months and would be using this truck as my primary means of transportation. I also would be using it for longer road trips (comfort) and extended outdoor recreational activities with my wife (fly fishing, sightseeing, etc). There maybe a recreational travel trailer or boat in the future (towing). 98% of the time there will by me and one other person in the truck.

So here are a few questions.

Which cab (extended cab or crew cab) should I consider? I noticed the dealer lots are full of crew cab models. Is this the best option?

How important is bed size?

What engine(s) would you suggest based on my use?

Any recommendations on other features to consider and trim levels (XLT,etc)?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Dr Bob
Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bob
I am considering purchasing my first full size pickup in a new Ford F150. Before I buy, I have some questions that I hope the members here can help me with. I am new to this forum.

I am retiring in a few months and would be using this truck as my primary means of transportation. I also would be using it for longer road trips (comfort) and extended outdoor recreational activities with my wife (fly fishing, sightseeing, etc). There maybe a recreational travel trailer or boat in the future (towing). 98% of the time there will by me and one other person in the truck.

So here are a few questions.

Which cab (extended cab or crew cab) should I consider? I noticed the dealer lots are full of crew cab models. Is this the best option?

How important is bed size?

What engine(s) would you suggest based on my use?

Any recommendations on other features to consider and trim levels (XLT,etc)?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Dr Bob
Hi Bob,

I've had 3 F150s over the last 6 years and it took me a bit to figure out the best truck for me. To start with, all the trucks were my daily driver with 2 being 5.0 powered and the last one was a 3.5 ecoboost.

Bed size: I am a fan of the 6.5 bed length. It's only 12" longer and I found that putting lumber, junk, dirtbikes, well amost anything... I just prefered having the extra little bit of length.

Cab size: I went with the extended the first time around, and the crew cab for my second and third F150. Our kids are grown up, but we have larger dogs and it made things much easier. We also appreciated the extra space when camping or day trips to the mountains when we didn't want to store items in the box.

Engine: I really appreciated the torque in the guzzleboost, but mileage was better with the 5.0 and for a daily driver where I am not towing a heavy TT, I would recommend the 5.0 with 3.55 gearing.

Trim: My better half almost insists on a full load. My last F150 was a FX4 with appearance package, every available option. I just traded the F150 in for a F350 6.7 Platinum. That being said, if I was single, I'd have cloth and roll up windows. All the extra's are nice though... and nav is nice when I am traveling in distant provinces and states I am not familiar with but a $150 garmin can accomplish the same thing.

Feel free to shoot away with any more questions.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks Taurkon. That is very helpful.

I am more of a fan of the 6.5 bed, but not much of a fan of the longer wheel base with a crew cab. So that is why I am interested in the extended cab. Do you find maneuvering in parking lots etc a challenge with the crew cab and 6.5 bed? I just don't want to kick myself later on the cab size if I go with the extended cab. Kids are grown and our dogs are yorkies so no size issues there. I might lease for 3 yrs and try one comfiguration. After 3 yrs, decide what work for me. I have leased vehicles before. Any thoughts?

I was focused on the 3.5 ecoboost, but I will research the 5.0 V8 more. I figured the 3.55 gearing was the best way to go.

Being a potentially new, full size truck owner, I will need all the help I can get in backing up. So the camera and guide lines are a must. I have gotten dependent on NAV in my current SUV, but I know we have a Garmin we purchased a while back the is not being use so NAV is not essential. My better half likes all the creature comforts so I am probably looking at a Lariat or at least an XLT with extras.

Dr Bob
Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The good doctor:

Your lease idea is a good one - I was going to recommend you test drive several.

My Ford truck history is 1992 F150 2wd supercab with 302 engine, '97 F150 supercab with the 5.4l, 2000 F250 supercrew 6.8l V10, 02 F250 Lariat supercrew 6.8l V10, and last fall I bought a '12 F150 Lariat supercrew 3.7l Ecoboost. I have pulled travel trailers with all, mostly an 11,000 lb 32 footer with the 97 through the '12. (Much less frequently as time went on and the kids moved out.

The '97 worked hard to pull that load but was capable. It had the 8 foot bed and had little problem keeping everything in line. I was going to purchase after lease and opted not to due to some wear factors resulting from the overworking. The 10 cylinder 250's did just fine and the longer wheelbase was very nice for towing. The longer wheelbase helps keep things in line and is nice for hauling bikes, firewood, etc. (The supercrews had the 6.5 foot bed.)

The wife liked the heated seats so much in the '02 that we ended up with the '12 Lariat. I have the 5.5 foot bed on this because I kept the '02 as my work truck. If I'm hauling large loads, it gets the call. The '12 F150 is my weekend and occasional recreational trip run so the shorter bed isn't an issue for me. The Ecoboost tugs the trailer just fine, but the shorter wheelbase makes for a little more active ride when towing. As far as the engine, I wouldn't go against the Ecoboost, but the advice you received above should be considered.

As for parking and such, yeah, the longer wheelbase doesn't spin around in parking lots. You'll get the hang of it, however. We ended up with all the bells and whistles on the '12 which I thought were just a bunch of eye candy. Now that I've used the nav, usb port for music, and hooked up the travel trailer with the rear camera I no longer think they're all garbage!

If it's a retirement vehicle for you and your mate I think you could go either way on the bed length as far as utility. Test drive both, spin them around in a parking lot, back 'em up and see what feels best.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Go with the crew cab, so much more room in the rear and your only loosing 12" of bed space. Hauling a full sheet of plywood or sheetrock your still going to have to have the tailgate down in either bed size. As far a trim levels go I'd look at the nicest level you could afford so you won't regret it later on....heat/cooled seats, power fold mirrors, driver entry side keypad, etc.

Your opinion on engine choice, just research both. Many threads on this board about both. I have the 5.0 and never had any issues..good stout reliable engine. Don't think you will be disappointed with the 3.5 either although i've read numerous times about folks having to change plugs inside of 50K. Not trying to **** off any 3.5 owners just stating what I've read on this board. Enjoy your search...
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Being a new owner of a 2014 crew cab with a 5.0l I have nothing bad to say about it. Comfortable ride and quiet
great powerband for everyday driving
18.7mpg at hwy speeds 75mph
Good driving manners

I know some folks want a more rugged truck feel but for me this is it. After a long day the last thing I want to do is to be beat to death by my ride. I've already done that with my sports cars. I wouldn't have any issues with packing this truck up and heading across our great country. That says a lot considering my wife's car get 36mpg and we would rather take the truck on a long trip.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Get the longer bed if you plan on ever hauling anything. Sounds like an extended cab would suit your needs just fine.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I would rent a few (not lease) for a better sampling overall. I like the extended cab because of the added bed space for what ever project I might tackle and even my 6' 3" step son can sit comfortably in the back seat.

For me it all boiled down to what my uses would be, did I want a people hauler or a cargo hauler, seeing both of my own children are grown and gone with their own families I opted for more cargo space.

The crew cab with 5.5' bed and extended cab with 6.5' bed are the exact same wheel base so parking for either would be identical, I have no problem navigating even the tight streets of the French Quarter and I usually park way out in center field so to speak to minimize the idiot factor so I don't have to deal with dings and such.

The 5.0 has plenty of power for towing normal size rv's, boats, etc and can be enhanced with a tuner if needed, you will also get better fuel economy than the twin turbo ecob.

If you plan to haul large rv's/boats twin axle trailers, 5th wheel trailers etc, go with the ecob.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (04-25-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the great comments and helpful suggestions to my questions. Time to go test drive several. I am not in a rush to purchase or lease so I have plenty of time to drive those sales guys
nuts.

Dr Bob
Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I love my crew cab 5.5 ft bed Ecoboost. Bed size has only been somewhat of a complication one time, as I don't regularly haul much in the bed other than camping gear and mountain bikes. It was kinda hard to get a 1/2 yard scoop of rock in the bed, since the bed is about the same length as the bucket on the tractor. But we made it. The extra foot really doesn't make much difference, I don't think you'd notice much difference either way. I would have gone 6.5' bed if I found one for sale, but I never came across one.

The crew cab is a no-brainer for me. Such a roomy, nice back seat provides tons of options. Aside from my kids, I can put all kinds of stuff back there, as the seat folds up and reveals a nice, flat floor. Mountain bikes (when I need security) and other gear fit in easily. Plus, my truck is the go-to vehicle for office lunch trips, as the back seat is far more roomy and comfortable than anyone else's vehicle.

Ecoboost vs. 5.0, I guess you'd have to test drive and see what you like best. For me, one drive in the EB and I was sold. Love the low rpm torque and how this truck tows. My mpg has been better than my GM V-8's for whatever that's worth.

Quick Reply: Considering First F150