Sponsored by:

Bulge in Tire Sidewall

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bulge in Tire Sidewall

Hello all
Long time viewer, first time poster.

I recently got some new Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's for my F150 after reading some good reviews and after less than 2 months and just over 1,000 miles of city and highway driving there is a sizeable bulge in my sidewall.

I went back to the shop and they told me that it was from road damage and not covered under the tire warranty. After telling them that I have not taken it off road yet, nor have I hit any potholes or curbs, and that there is no road rash on the tire he said that I probably just bumped a curb and caused the damage. For a tire that is supposed to be all-terrain that doesn’t sound right. There is a small cut in the rubber but it looks more like the rubber splitting than an impact.

The discussion got fairly heated and I could see that I was not going to get anywhere with him so now here I am.

So are there any tire gurus out there that can shed some light on my predicament, am I just being stubborn or is my point valid?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Bulge in Tire Sidewall-tire-1.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I've worked in tire shops and mechanic shops all my life, and that is most certainly an impact bruise.

Maybe buy a load range higher with stiffer sidewalls would be to your benefit.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I've seen it happen both ways. Manufacture defects and from impact.

I don't see any real scrubbing or scuffing except for that slit.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Given the cut in the tire and what appears to be damage on the rim near the slit. it would lead me to conclude that the bubble is not due to a manufacturing defect
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by ztman
Given the cut in the tire and what appears to be damage on the rim near the slit. it would lead me to conclude that the bubble is not due to a manufacturing defect
Good call on rim, didn't see that before!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Ok so maybe I'm just being stubborn then. I guess I thought all-terrain tires would be a little more durable.
No damage to the rim just a bad picture. Also the cut is behind the bulge as far as tire rotation goes, this is the front passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails Bulge in Tire Sidewall-tire-3.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by jbettin
Ok so maybe I'm just being stubborn then. I guess I thought all-terrain tires would be a little more durable.
No damage to the rim just a bad picture. Also the cut is behind the bulge as far as tire rotation goes, this is the front passenger side.

As I said, maybe you need a tire with a stronger sidewall if you want to bounce off curbs, rocks, etc....

The weakest part of all of our vehicles is where the rubber meets the road.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

However this turns out, you should do some research on road hazard tire warranties, for future reference.

Discount Tire, Costco, and many others, will roll them into the price of the tire. I just bought those same Revo A/T tires at Costco, and I'm positive that they would replace it immediately in your situation.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 PM

Yeah penny pincher me declined the road hazard coverage, never needed it before so of course I need it now.

No one to blame but my self I suppose. Just getting a little frustrated, got a buch of problems popping up at once, got the tire bubble, an IWE actuator that went out, sepentine belt whine/howl thats one of the three idler pulleys, and I'm afraid to admit it out loud but I think I may be hearing some cam phaser noise starting
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

BTDT, I cut a tire on a rock on the edge of the road. I bought road hazard protection on that one new tire.

Quick Reply: Bulge in Tire Sidewall