Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 f-150 dual zone A/C warm on both sides. Which blend door do I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 f-150 dual zone A/C warm on both sides. Which blend door do I replace?

I have a 2009 f-150 lariat. The air blows warm on both sides when the Air conditioning is on. I have tried using dual climate to adjust temp and the heater works on both sides but it will not blow cold. The air conditioning seats won't get cold as well.

Things I've done: I recharged the system. I've verified the compressor does work. I've checked for a clicking noise that everyone else seems to get and there is no clicking on either temp control button for pass. Or driver.

I'm assuming it's a blend door problem. I am not sure whether to replace the passenger one behind the radio or the driver one down below. Any help would be great. I can usually diagnose issues after reading multiple threads and watching different videos but I am stumped on where to go from here.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

While it's possible for both blend door actuators to go bad at the same time, it's highly unlikely, your best bet is to take it to someone with the skills and equipment to properly diagnose it so you don't start throwing expensive parts at it.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM

I agree that would be unlikely. I was hoping to avoid bringing it to my local dealer. I'm happy to dig into fixing this myself. If anyone has any tips to self diagnose this issue that would be great. I would think there has to be an easy way to figure out which blend door went bad.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

How did you verify that the compressor does "work"?

If it is chilling the refrigerant, then I'd suspect it's an issue with the cool air not getting in from the evaporator core.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jimgil7
I agree that would be unlikely. I was hoping to avoid bringing it to my local dealer. I'm happy to dig into fixing this myself. If anyone has any tips to self diagnose this issue that would be great. I would think there has to be an easy way to figure out which blend door went bad.
It's all electronically controlled, need IDS to perform diag. Very expensive computer interface that Ford tech's use, some outside shops may have it also. I also have one for my wife and I vehicles.

Costs $2,200 to start and $700/yr there after for the software license.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Good question. Here's what I know. The compressor turns on and off as it should. Is it doing its job? I don't know. How do I verify if it's "chilling" properly?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 PM

The IDS would be able to diag this particular issue? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be able to find the source of an issue like this.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Good question. Here's what I know. The compressor turns on and off as it should. Is it doing its job? I don't know. How do I verify if it's "chilling" properly?
You have two aluminum lines going into the firewall, one is smaller than the other, that would be the high side line, will be hot to the touch with the system running the other fatter line is the low side, it should be very cold. If both lines are the same and the compressor is turning (the end plate on the comp will be spinning), then the valves in the comp are shot.

You said you recharged it, explain.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:31 PM

The IDS would be able to diag this particular issue? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be able to find the source of an issue like this.
If there is an electronic fault yes IDS will help find it.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:47 PM

I recharged the freon with a kit from a local auto shop which did show proper PSI. I am positive I recharged it correctly. Now after it was charged the line was not cold to the touch like it should. The other line was hot to the touch but not to the point of burning me. The end plate was still spinning off and on. So you feel it's probably the valves are shot and I need to replace the compressor?

Quick Reply: 2009 f-150 dual zone A/C warm on both sides. Which blend door do I replace?