Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

I have fuel delivery issues from the tank to the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have fuel delivery issues from the tank to the engine.

My gas tank is full, however, it seems that the fuel isn't getting to the engine. It will start but only for a few seconds before it shuts off. I first thought it was empty since the fuel gauge is out. So I went to fill it up and it started to poor back out after a bit. i also notice that some fuel began the leak out along the pipes underneath the truck. However, the tank is still full once it stopped leaking.

When I bought the truck it ran for about 3 days, but never that good. I know that the person I bought it from had it parked for a while. Could there be something clogged up? I have basic mechanic skills and don't know much about the fuel delivery process. Where should I start.

Also, does anyone know where I can download a manual or guide for a 1984 F150 inline 6?

thanks for any help in advance
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Help me help you. 1984 is this a carburator or fuel injected? Don't know when Ford went to injection on inline engines. Assuming its fuel injected, test for fuel pressure, am interested if it holds pressure when the engine quits. A quick and hopefully simple explanation of fuel injected engines. Turning key from off to on will make the electric fuel pump run for a couple of seconds and turn off. This will charge the injectors. The engine should start if all is good. After the engine starts, the PCM receives an oil pressure signal, it then, through another circuit turns the pump on again and keeps it running untill the engine is turned off. You can see why the question about the fuel pressure. If fuel pressure and engine quit at the same time, electrical circuit to the pump is a fault. Relay. If pressure is still there and engine is off another issue. Get back to us.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Bill, 1987 was the first year of fuel injection. Up until '87 the carburetors got progressively more involved with a computer (electronic feedback) until the switch.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem, only mine is i cant afford to get the gas to the motor lol, My only comment is that in 1986 ford had EFI on the v8 so im not sure if they followed with the l6
Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Sean, how many years did the I-6 stay around with the fuel injection?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I believe '87-'96 with the I6 fuel injected.

Quick Reply: I have fuel delivery issues from the tank to the engine.