Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Help Needed with my Classic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
xravenwingsx

Question Help Needed with my Classic!

What I am looking for is a bit of help with my 1981 F-150 302ci Ranger Lariat Extended Cab (Towing Special).

First: Side mirrors will NOT stay where I put them. Are they completely shot? Know where I can find replacements?

Second: Sun visors swing outward violently around turns, but will not go up or down, they're completely stuck. Again, know if I can fix them or where I can find replacements?

Third: This truck is only getting 6.25 miles per gallon and is running very rough. Anyone know how to adjust this carb?

Fourth: Heater only blows warm air then gets cold again after about 30 mins of run/drive time. Gauge gets hot in town, and on highway, barely goes past the cold indicator. Thinking thermostat or low coolant. Any ideas?

Fifth: Anyone know where I can get my windshield seal changed and get a new column, windshield wiper switch, and climate control unit?

Only paid 500 bucks for this truck. Not too bad, gets me where I need to go. first time with a classic and first time with a truck, so I need all the help I can get (last car was a Stage 2 Chev Cobalt SS Supercharged)

thanks!!

Last edited by xravenwingsx; 11-30-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Now I understand, was confused reading this novel, looked at point of origin. OK, I'll cut you some slack, after all its not the trucks fault ending up in Iowa. Joking aside, mirrors and visors can be replaced with aftermarket, unless you want to keep it original.
What is with the rough running engine? Won't even try to suggest anything for better mileage, get it running right first, then see what happens.
Heater concern and related engine temp. Classic symptom and remedy, remove t-stat for overheating. Wrong, now you have no heat and still get hot in stop and go driving. Install proper t-stat probably 192 degrees. This should help with the no heat from heater. Engine O/H at slow speeds, fan clutch? You tell me. Don't even want to go to blown head gaskets causing O/H condition with no heat from heater and possible rough running symptom.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I second it

I agree with bill.... check out LMC truck for replacement parts too, that's where I got alot of stuff for my 78
Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
xravenwingsx

Thank you Bill and FoMoCo...that LMC link was very helpful!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default welcome

that's what were all here for..... one of us is not as good as all of us!!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Think it'll start?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I appreciate it too. I was looking for a good website to get parts for a 79 model. Thanks

Quick Reply: Help Needed with my Classic!