Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

The wheel fell off. Seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The wheel fell off. Seriously.

Hi all. I'm looking for input on how to proceed after a bad experience with the service department at the dealership.

I brought in my 2012 F-150 for an oil change and asked them to check the brakes. They called and said the truck was ready to go. Still some pad left on the brakes. Great. I show up, pay, get in my truck and leave. Two hundred yards down the street in a matter of seconds things get wobbly, I see lug nuts in the rear view, and my left rear wheel passes me on the left. The tech forgot to tighten the lugs.

The dealer has told me they are going to replace the rear brakes, rear shocks, the wheel, and the fender flare. Are there any other components that you would ask the dealer to replace after an incident like this?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 PM

Holy crap man. That sucks. I'm not familiar enough with the parts to reply to your question with specifics. Just can't believe that would happen in this day and age. Please let us know how the story ends. Good luck!

#empathy
Old 06-08-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Wheel studs, lugs, brake lines or bottom of axle might have damage; and I'd be asking for some sort of warranty on the rear axle since your axle scraped all over the road. Money back on the oil change. Some kind of future free services. And the permission to enter the service bay next time to make sure the wheels are all on...
Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM

Well the dealer volunteered to replace the rear brakes, rear shocks, the wheel that came off, the lugs, and the fender flare. I asked them to replace the studs and they agreed. I also asked for some kind of written warranty for any other issues stemming from the incident and they gave me 6 months or 6000 miles. I was reasonably pleased with how they handled it, but I was disappointed that I wasn't offered a refund on the oil change or any future free oil changes.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Happened to me on our 1981 Chevy Malibu in Erie, PA. Never went back to that place.

Quick Reply: The wheel fell off. Seriously.