Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission Problems...Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems...Please Help!!

I have a 2004 F150 Lariat Super Crew with a 5.4. Tonight I was running errands and everything was fine. I slowed down to go over a bump, as I sped up to about 30mph and the transmission went into neutral and the engine revved up. I slowed down to about 25mph and it kicked back in. I stopped and shut the truck off and it did the same thing. I went through the gears and it again did the same thing. I turned off the overdrive and it ran better, I was able to get to go around 45mph. Does anyone know what it could be? please help
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Well how many miles on it? When was it last serviced? Have you checked fluid level?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 AM
VTX Rider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Problem

I just had the same issue and fixed the problem this past weekend in about 4 hours. You have lost your overdrive most likely due to broken snap ring that holds your overdrive servo in place. I won't go into much detail as there is already lots of info on this sight to guide you through the repair. It basically entails replacing that snap ring but it's a bit involved (depending on your mechanical aptitude and tranny experience...not questioning anyone's abilities mind you) and the good news is it's really inexpensive if you do it yourself versus a tranny shop (ugh). If you search overdrive repairs here on the forum you will find the info you need. BTW lots of folks say it's ok to drive with the overdrive off but, in my opinion, it's probably not very wise to drive around with broken metal pieces inside your tranny...especially in the valve body channels. Mine went out on a Friday, did the repair the next morning and I was back on the road pulling my bass boat that afternoon. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Marc D (10-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems...Please Help!!