Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ticking on start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking on start?

So, i have a radar detector in my truck (05 150,4.6) Accidently left it plugged in for 6 hours. Went out to crank it and it cranked. But slowly! drove it around. when i got to where i was goin, left it for about 30-40 min, felt like it was dead, then boom it started! But here is kind of whats throwing me off.. I went out the next morning and it wasnt turning over just alot repetive ticks. It's been sittin out there for 2 days and the cb and lights work perfectly on it!

So any insight would be much appreciated on how you go about this.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just had that ticking on mine. you need a new battery. there aren't enough amps to crank over.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Before you drop $100 to $150 on a new battery, check all of your cable ends first. If you have clampon ends, get new ones and clean and solder the ends of the cables before reinstallation. If their stock, clean them and have the battery load tested after charging it. If you have a voltmeter, with the truck running, test @ the battery for 13.5 volts. If it's way less than that, it's your alternator. Yes, you may still need a battery, but do some homework first and save some money. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

You also need to determine if there is any parasitic draw on the battery. The radar detector should not be enough to kill a battery even if you left it for a week. If there is no parasitic discharge on the battery then you are good to replace the battery - however if there is a draw and you replace the battery - you have not fixed the problem and that battery will go dead too. With the ignition turned off (doors closed) put an ammeter in series between the positive battery cable and the positive post on the battery and see how many amps are being drawn.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Well, I went up and got me a new battery and went out and replaced it this morning. And the stereo or nothing comes on and especially no ticking or start. So now i'm guessing it's a dud battery or maybe a anti theft system?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford4ever
Well, I went up and got me a new battery and went out and replaced it this morning. And the stereo or nothing comes on and especially no ticking or start. So now i'm guessing it's a dud battery or maybe a anti theft system?

I have to ask, did you remove the plastic protective caps from the battery post(s) before you put the cables back on?

I've seen it happen before.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks JT! New battery and it cranked fine. believe it or not I forgot to put the wires back to the battery post.I just tightened it back. But thanks for everyone's input!

Quick Reply: Ticking on start?