Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Motor swap or fix???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Motor swap or fix???

Hey I need help!! Just bought a 2004 f150 XLT 4.6 motor(180k) off original owner. Was told it has loose/stretched timing chain???? Im not mechanically inclined enough to diagnose the rattling sound it makes when running. I was wondering would it be cheaper to just swap out motor or do the complete timing chain replacement?? I dont know the complete history of engine upkeep(tune-ups consistent oil changes etc etc so not sure how long motor will last after work is done. Any suggestions would help.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

If you plan on keeping the truck, I get a rebuilt long block and swap it. You still need some basic mechanical aptitude and a lot of patience or the project will be overwhelming. The motor swap is easy, it all the hoses, wires and external connections that will take time. A timing chain will a lot less work, but as you said knowing what's up with history of the motor is a big question. Personally I'd do the chain. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Default cost???

I am NOT going to be doing the work myself I'm just not capable of doing that type of mechanical work but, would it be cheaper to have a motor swap done or have all the mechanical work done to replace the timing chain
Old 10-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I would do the timing chain, assuming that is your knocking noise. A professional mechanic in a smaller shop (not a dealer) can do the work for way less money than a whole new (rebuilt) motor. This repair would not require removal of your motor from the truck. Shop around and ask your friends who they have used for a good referral. Also check with the local Chamber of Commerce or the BBB for good or bad shops. Good luck
Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 AM

I can get a used 4.6 (100k miles)for $800 and another 1k for the swap. What is the avg price for doing a timing chain??? Im in NY so the prices can be a little steep.

Quick Reply: Motor swap or fix???