Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

ignition problem on 96 f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problem on 96 f150

new here..but i am desperate for an answer.my son drove my 150 to work last night..he went to shut off the truck and the key turned loose all the way back like the cylinder was no longer engaged to anything (free turning)..he got the truck shut off by switching over to the front gas tank that was empty....i got the truck to my local belle tire and the guy that does my work most of the time...he told my son last night that the whole colume may be shot but at this point has not taken anything apart so far..i need the truck to keep going but i am afraid that the repairs if it a major thing that i will not be able to afford it..what could possible be the issue with the ignition cylinder?...any help or advice appreceiated..thanks so much
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

There's a rod that connects the lock cylinder to the ignition switch. It's a common problem with these trucks, especially with tilt steering. The ignition switch is located near the bottom of the steering column. If you don't have the money to fix it you can pull the ignition switch from the column and start the truck with it by pulling the slide on it, if you see it you will know what I mean. You will only have to use the key to unlock the steering, so it will be just as hard to steal the truck.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks very much Sean....the guy had yesterday off so nothing was done yet..i will swing by tonight and show him the print out of info you provided..thanks again!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM

update..the guy dropped the switch and we got the access to the on/off switch...works good thanks again..once i get the money up i will get the rod replaced..roughly $170.00 estimate ...thanks Sean

Quick Reply: ignition problem on 96 f150