Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

dies randomly when Clutch is pushed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dies randomly when Clutch is pushed

I have a 92 Flareside with the 4.9L, 5 speed, 4x4. At random times when I drive it and I push the clutch in, it flat out dies. Every sensor has been replaced on the motor since the previous motor died and I got a different one, and a new clutch switch. The clutch itself has about 100 miles on it, replaced when the motors were changed. If anyone has an idea what could be going on, I could really use the help.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch

We need more info about the problem.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel, timing, idle control circuit, tps/map sensor. Could be a whole lot of things, just hard to tell which one got jacked up. When it dies, can you crank it right up?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WorkinHorse
Fuel, timing, idle control circuit, tps/map sensor. Could be a whole lot of things, just hard to tell which one got jacked up. When it dies, can you crank it right up?
I have to hold the throttle down some to get it to fire back up. Actually have to do that most of the time now for any start up. It sits around a lot, gets driven about 2 times a month. Has a new TPS sensor and MAP sensor, clutch switch, and everything else was checked over during the engine swap. Timing was set when the motor was put in back around February. I don't drive the truck much, I have put on maybe 200 miles since the motor was changed. I just replaced the ICM now to see if that was it, didn't do anything today but only time will tell.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flareside Fiend
I have to hold the throttle down some to get it to fire back up. Actually have to do that most of the time now for any start up. It sits around a lot, gets driven about 2 times a month. Has a new TPS sensor and MAP sensor, clutch switch, and everything else was checked over during the engine swap. Timing was set when the motor was put in back around February. I don't drive the truck much, I have put on maybe 200 miles since the motor was changed. I just replaced the ICM now to see if that was it, didn't do anything today but only time will tell.
Yeah with not a lot of driving it is hard to discover the actual problem. How are the slave and master cylinders for the clutch?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by WorkinHorse
Yeah with not a lot of driving it is hard to discover the actual problem. How are the slave and master cylinders for the clutch?
Slave was replaced new with the clutch, master I have not done anything to so far.

Quick Reply: dies randomly when Clutch is pushed