Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Clicking Noise/ Reduced Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
AEminhizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clicking Noise/ Reduced Performance

I have an 08 5.4L F150 with 62K on it. A few weeks ago I started noticing a "ticking" noise. I didn't think much of it at first but now it seems like my fuel economy/ power have decreased. I've heard 10-20 different things that it could be. Any experts out there who can help me out? I don't trust my local dealers.
Thanks!
-Austin
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ticking could be cam phaser related I've seen alot of the vct solonids fail. They have micro screens that blow out and cause the phaser to not work properly. Try to isolate the side the noise is coming from. Any check engine lite?
The following users liked this post:
aeminhizer (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
AEminhizer

No check engine light and the sounds definitely coming from the passenger side. I've had quite a few people tell me that it's probably the exhaust manifold but they said it wouldn't really affect my performance
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its cold start noise goes away after warm. If you think it's exhaust manifold they leave a soot trail between each cylinder that could confirm your thoughts. Also look for missing studs on the manifold.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

There is no way you are going to get an accurate diagnosis for this over the internet. Yes people can suggest many things that have been known to cause your complaint. Ask your friends or neighbours where who they recommend. You usually cant go wrong with a AAA certified shop.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
AEminhizer

I actually took it to a shop yesterday. Turns out I had a short somewhere in the wiring to my plugs, causing all of the cylinders to fire intermittently and also my injectors needed to be serviced. The noise has gone away and it seems like I have all of my power back. Who knew? Haha. But thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise/ Reduced Performance