Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Brake Pad Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brake Pad Wear

I started this same thread in the 2009-Present with no replies. Thinking this section is more probably appropriate.

I just finished a brake and rotor change. All pads had over 1/2 left except the inboard drivers side which was thin as paper. None of the calipers were stuck. All move free.

What do you guys think? 2013 F150 Eco with 55K.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like they wore a bit fast. My '02 brakes lasted a lot longer.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like that inner pad may have been jammed, usually when they jam they end up with an odd wear pattern on them but not always.

Make sure the new pads can move freely in the calipers/brackets and make sure the slide pins are well greased and moving freely.

Any trouble pushing the pistons in on that particular caliper?

-Steve
Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca
Sounds like that inner pad may have been jammed, usually when they jam they end up with an odd wear pattern on them but not always.

Make sure the new pads can move freely in the calipers/brackets and make sure the slide pins are well greased and moving freely.

Any trouble pushing the pistons in on that particular caliper?

-Steve

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but I'm just a shade tree mechanic. I compressed the piston with a big Channellock with no problem. The pins were also free sliding. This is why I ask.

Not being an expert I'm wondering if there's a condition that would make the system favor this brake. I can't imagine since I believe its all one hydraulic system for all 4. Or is there some other electronic control these days. Silly I know but ...
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

It's possible the caliper frame is bent. I've seen a 10 thousands of an inch tweak cause this kind of unusual wear. I would replace at least your mount or even the entire assembly on that side. The inner pad always wears faster but it's also possible you have air trapped in the passengers side forcing the drivers side to do most of the work, thus the excessive wear. Remember one good curb bang or pot hole can do some damage w/o you really noticing it. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
3kushn (08-23-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM
F150 Vendor

Sounds like a freak one off deal especially given the age of the truck, as mentioned the inner pads always wear quicker since the piston is on the inside but in most cases they wear pretty evenly from side to side.

Was the old pad worn evenly across it's surface? One end or edge wasn't thinner or thicker than another?

Were the brakes pulling at all? If you apply the brakes while very loosely gripping the steering wheel does it stop in a straight line or try to turn and if so does it do the same thing consistently?

-Steve
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca
Sounds like a freak one off deal especially given the age of the truck, as mentioned the inner pads always wear quicker since the piston is on the inside but in most cases they wear pretty evenly from side to side.

Was the old pad worn evenly across it's surface? One end or edge wasn't thinner or thicker than another?

Were the brakes pulling at all? If you apply the brakes while very loosely gripping the steering wheel does it stop in a straight line or try to turn and if so does it do the same thing consistently?

-Steve
Steve only indication I needed to look at brakes was a slight pulsing in the pedal (rotor or whatever). Purchased new rotors since the dealer already turned OEM's once. Long pitiful story. I'll just say @ 3000 miles.

I'm gathering from what Mark C says, the fronts and backs are independent lines. I'll take a look at that once I find someone to push the peddle for me.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:16 PM
F150 Vendor

Originally Posted by 3kushn
Steve only indication I needed to look at brakes was a slight pulsing in the pedal (rotor or whatever). Purchased new rotors since the dealer already turned OEM's once. Long pitiful story. I'll just say @ 3000 miles.

I'm gathering from what Mark C says, the fronts and backs are independent lines. I'll take a look at that once I find someone to push the peddle for me.
The brake lines all run from the master cylinder and through the ABS module, the fronts each have their own lines but the rear has a single line from the ABS module to the back of the truck where it splits at a T by the rear axle and then the lines go from there to the rear calipers.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Wear