Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

New F150 1st Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F150 1st Oil Change

Hello fellow Ford Enthusiasts!

New Ford owner here. A little pretext before my question. I purchased a 2013 F150 STX 5.0 Reg Cab, new, back in May, with 7 miles on it. I don't know about you guys, but I love this truck. Within one month I installed a flowmaster super-40 muffler(for some extra growl, left the resonator in) for about $180 and a K&N CAI for around $200 and I have to say that I am set HP wise. I swear, I could jump off the line on anybody with this beast. That first gear is nuts and it sounds amazing.

Anyways, my question. Just reached 3k with 77% oil life. I have been running it hard to break it in like a Ford should be broke in. I don't want to wait for the recommended interval on the first oil change. I figured change it at 3k and then at 7.5k and then every 7.5 after that. My question is: Should I try to switch over to full synthetic for first oil change? I've read the truck takes a synthetic blend and I purchased 8 oil changes when I bought the truck with the synthetic blend. From my experience, full synthetic is the way to go, but my experience comes from 4 cylinder high revving engines. Is it really going to make that much of a difference on engine life?

I just want the best for this bad bitch. If I take care of her, she'll take care of me if you know what I mean. Any thoughts guys?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

You should try searching the forum. There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic and you will get every answer under the sun. Some will say you should have changed it a 1000 miles and others will say use the IOLM, and many more in between.

Personally I use the IOLM, but in the end it is really up to you.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, BCMIF150. I think, subconsciously, that I didn't search the forums first because I wanted to share my experience with the truck a little maybe because it was my first post.

I checked the oil frequently and at 1k miles it was still clear as it was when I bought the truck so I think changing the oil that soon might've been a little silly. A few guys told me that full synthetic is not really going to allow much break-in and I want the truck to break-in. Maybe I'll think about it around 7.5k. My dad thinks I put too much thought into this lol. He says, "It's a Ford, you can't hurt that truck. Run the **** out of it!"

Quick Reply: New F150 1st Oil Change