Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

bout to pull trans, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bout to pull trans, need advice

hey guys, I just bought a 79 f150 ranger, its a fixer upper my first project is going to be pulling the trans. Its a 5 speed and its a **** to get into gear to sa;y the least. it will slip right into "r" but not others i have to fight it, so i'm going to replace the pressure plate and throw out bearing. any advice?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Not sure if they changed it later, but on a 75 with a C6 you would have to pull the engine or raise the cab. There's a crossmember that goes across the frame just in front of the pan that will prevent you from just pulling the transmission. You should be able to split them on the truck, but t will be a tight spot.

I will say, make sure you have the clutch alignment tool for when you go back together with it. It makes your life so much easier.

Disclaimer** I had a 1975 with a 390/C6 RCLB.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Have plenty of room under the truck to pull the trans. Once you drop the driveshaft, exhaust and cross member you can tilt the trans down to get to the top bell housing bolts. If you don't have a tranny jack I'd suggest you buy one. Harbor freight has a cheap one for $135. I just did my 92 Explorer 4x4 and it was the only way I could handle the whole trans. BTW you're on the right track about needing a new clutch/pressure plate and T o B. Surface the pressure plate or replace it too.

Quick Reply: bout to pull trans, need advice