Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Best tune-up parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tune-up parts?

I just bought a '92 F-150 XLT 4x4 ex cab, long bed with a 5.8L engine. About 230k miles and bone stock. Being the misfit I am, I'm taking my daughter camping from Lake Arrowhead, through Sedona, AZ to Telluride CO in a week pulling a trailer. I'm sure plugs, wires, cap and filters are in order to maximize MPG's and reliability. This is the first vehicle I've owned in 20yrs that has a distributor cap and in the '90's people put on the biggest wires and ignition coil and distributor along with crazy plugs. There was also opinion that none of that made a difference unless a car is tuned for that and bode out anyway. What is the consensus now? I don't plan on doing many engine/exhaust mods unless it improves mpg's and I will probably lift it a few inches with maybe 31's. Some clearance and grab without killing mpg's on an everyday driver. Also, it looks as if there's some kind of system with the air filter where there are tubes separating intake air from engine compartment air. Is this essentially a cold air intake system or would it still be worthwhile to get a cold air intake? Tips are very helpful! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Best tune-up parts?