Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Air Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
jmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner

Well it was 95 in the shade today...Had a 2 1/2 hour trip... as soon as I left I realized the A/C was not working.. Fan blows hot air... Checked all the fuses... I can see with the motor running and A/C on, that the compressor is not running... Is there something I can test or check??? Have had zero problems with my truck (02-Lariet Crew Cab)...

Is there anyway to check to see if the compressor has gone bad??? Was driving all week with no problems

Too Hot to wait around.

Thanks for all that can help

jmc
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You will need a set of gauges to check the a/c. You can get one of those cans of freon with the low side gauge on it and try adding freon. It probably needs some.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Default compressor test

if you unplug the pressure switch the compressor should kick in. If it doesnt then probably the compressor or wiring up to it.

good luck
Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
We'd do it

Originally Posted by jtherr
if you unplug the pressure switch the compressor should kick in. If it doesnt then probably the compressor or wiring up to it.

good luck
No, if you unplug the switch and use a piece of wire to jump the terminals then the compressor should come on.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 PM

i stand corrected
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 PM
We'd do it

You were close.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Please keep in mind that while low freon is the cause of a lot of A/C problems - it's not the only cause.

In other words, chances are that you'll get lucky and get things running again by dumping some freon in the system.

The caveat is that if you don't fully understand the problem, there is a fair chance that you will make things worse - through either the damaging of equipment, or damaging of one-self - both of which will likely cost more than getting a professional to take a look.

If you choose to probe further - please be careful - and be sure to wear appropriate hand and eye protection.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get yourself a manifold gauge set, you can get them less as cheap as 50 dollars. One of the things that happens is the orifice tube get clogged. If your pressure is good then there is a good chance this is problem. My advice unless you want to get the equipment to do the work yourself, ,just take to a repair shop. After all of these years you should have the system flushed out a new Orifice tube and accumulator/dryer tank. Make sure you replace the orifice tube with the variable version for 105" degree + .service.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner