Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

AC problemo

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problemo

My AC will blow warm air while in idle until I either give it some gas or start driving. I dont drive the truck that much( wifes truck) so I cant say it does it every time it sits for a while ( over night or all day at work) but it has done it a few times recently. When it does cool it gets COLD like a Ford AC should (drove about 500 miles recently and didnt have a problem one).Haven't noticed any over heating issues at all with the truck. I was thinking fan clutch, my dad says it could be that the AC clutch wont engage because it has too much play and I haven't put any freon in it since it does still get so cold. He said to tap on the clutch the next time it does it to see if that will make it engage, but like I said dont drive it every day. Its an 05 with the 5.4L, has about 49000mi on it. It sat for a couple months while my Gdads estate was settled. He owned it since '06 I think and to my knowledge didnt have any issues with anything on the truck. I think it's pretty intermintent right now but we cant be a one vehicle family right now. Any help to point me in the right direction to fix it would be great!! THANKS
Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lilred08
My AC will blow warm air while in idle until I either give it some gas or start driving. I dont drive the truck that much( wifes truck) so I cant say it does it every time it sits for a while ( over night or all day at work) but it has done it a few times recently. When it does cool it gets COLD like a Ford AC should (drove about 500 miles recently and didnt have a problem one).Haven't noticed any over heating issues at all with the truck. I was thinking fan clutch, my dad says it could be that the AC clutch wont engage because it has too much play and I haven't put any freon in it since it does still get so cold. He said to tap on the clutch the next time it does it to see if that will make it engage, but like I said dont drive it every day. Its an 05 with the 5.4L, has about 49000mi on it. It sat for a couple months while my Gdads estate was settled. He owned it since '06 I think and to my knowledge didnt have any issues with anything on the truck. I think it's pretty intermintent right now but we cant be a one vehicle family right now. Any help to point me in the right direction to fix it would be great!! THANKS
AFAIK that is expected behavior for the AC. These trucks only have a mechanical fan which isn't the most effective as far as the AC system is concerned. The fan doesn't pull enough air through the evaporator (condenser? I forget which is the unit outside the cab), so it heats up and loses effectiveness.

Last edited by technokami; 07-14-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

You don't need freon. It wouldn't get cold, ever. It's possible the pressure switch is sticky that allows the compressor clutch to receive power OR you have a vacuum line that's cracked in the dash controls and requires enough vacuum suction to overcome the crack and activate the air flow door operation. I wouldn't mess with it until it stops working.

Last edited by Marc D; 07-14-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: AC problemo