Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1983 F150 backwards battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 F150 backwards battery

I have a 1983 F150 with a 302W sitting and waiting until I resolve at least this electrical issue.

After replacing the front gas tank I got excited to start it, so I threw the terminals on, but backwards! OOPS!

The wire that goes from the alternator to the starter solenoid popped a hole in the insulation and started blowing smoke. Naturally I unhooked the battery and smoked a few cigarettes.

This wire heads out of the alternator, and has some kind of cylindrical black plastic piece in the middle of it. The alternator wire continues through the plastic piece to the starter solenoid, but coming out of the black piece are 2 smaller wires. One wire goes to the voltage regulator, and the other into some other harness which looks like it goes into the cab somewhere.

What the heck do I do with these 2 wires!? The guy at the dealership said that black piece is a diode to prevent electrical feedback, and is no longer available, and my best bet is a junk yard. I will find one from a yard for now, but I'd like a better fix than junk yard electrical components.

Other diagrams online label that part as a fuse. I doubt it's a fuse, there's no apparent way to open it to replace a fuse.

So how do I replace this wire if I cannot find any information on it? Can I just hook the two smaller wires right to the alternator? I'd be nervous doing that while being uneducated. I'm sure that plastic part is there for a reason right?

Quick Reply: 1983 F150 backwards battery