Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 F150 Cold Air Intake Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 F150 Cold Air Intake Mod

First post and newbie here so forgive me if this has been covered. Recently fell into a 97 F150 2wd with only 32000 original miles. Because I was able to pick up the truck so inexpensive I've been able to have a lot of fun with "making it mine" and doing some great mods
I've read about the Gotts mod, and honestly didn't make a lot of sense to me. Also looked at CAI from K&N for roughly $300.00 that I held off on.
What I did was take out the filter housing snout that pulls air from the front fender wheel well. Removed it all together. And trimmed several inches off the plastic dome end so the opening is now WIDE.
Purchased another stock 97 air filter housing dome (from a salvage yard in case I screwed up)
So to reiterate: Cut off in a very clean straight line the end of the filter housing end......or "dome" and left a wide opening where the end of the filter; about an 1 1/2" is exposed. (On a K&N filter only the black rubber/plastic end is protruding from the housing)
Put in a new K&N filter and re-clamped the now trimmed filter housing piece that exposes the very end of the filter when re-attatched and clamped in place. Just like a trimmed stock piece
It basically modifies the original filter housing into its own CAI......since the end is completely cut open, and allows full air flow to the K&N filter, leaves enough of the plastic housing to protect the filter from heat....and now has a big opening for air to reach 360 degrees around the K&N.
The MAF isn't disturbed at all as thats still stock; and since the filter housing has two"feet" below that securely fasten it to the engine.....its secure and totally works. Actually looks very stock
In real world driving....it's been phenomenal. I can hear it pulling air and breathing when accelerating. Obviously feel the added horses. Drove a 7 hr trip last week @ 70 mph averaged 18 mpg's on the highway
So not sure if this has ever been posted or thought of.....and thought I'd throw it out there.
Am I the first?
I've opened up the exhaust as well....cat back 3" pipes to a Magna flow....JBA headers next week
3" spindle lift, 33" wheels, changed the gears in the diff from 3:55 limited slip to a 4:10 lim slip still. That was a huge difference and gave back a ton of original power in acceleration.
Too much to list but I love my truck. Thanks

Last edited by Idbrn4u; 10-27-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 Cold Air Intake Mod