Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford ditches Microsoft Sync for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Ultra Member

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Exclamation Ford ditches Microsoft Sync for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

First of all, I have a brand new 2014 F150 with Microsoft Sync. The worst thing about this truck is the Sync. Wow this thing is horrible. it takes it forever to make a call.

I click the button and wait for the instructions where it tells me to say a command. Is there a way to turn of the little instrucations each time I press the button? There should be a way to turn of the instructions and just play the sound and I say the command.

Next, I say "Call home". it lists 4-5 names that don't sound anything like the word "Home". Then, I cancel and say again. Then it asks me again to pick a contact, fortunately this time it has "home" in the list. After it asks me to pick a line number, it then says "Multiple possible matches found" Grrrrrrrrr. Come on make the call already. One match is the obvious "Home" and second is "Home Second number" Then again, I say line one, Then finally it starts dialing the number.

I stopped using Sync and now strictly use google now. Google Now is freaking awesome man. It doesn't ask any of that BS. I say "Ok Google" "Call Home". It says "Calling Home".

I am really looking forward to when the Manufacturers start going with Google Auto and Apple Carplay. Its just way easier.

Car Manufacturers should just leave the software to the Pros and they should stick to making vehicles, let Apple or Google or other top software company handle the Car UI.

------------------ Anyways Rant over-------------

Here is some news:

Ford drops Microsoft's Windows Embedded, enabling support for Apple's CarPlay, Android Auto This article gets ****ty when it says Google copied Apple for Google Auto.

Here is the official Statement from FORD.

FORD SYNC 3 DELIVERS NEW, INNOVATIVE WAYS FOR PEOPLE TO STAY CONNECTED WITH THEIR LIVES WHILE ON THE MOVE

So there we go. With BlackBerry's QNX Platform the consumers will get both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with their vehicle. So if you have and Android and your husband/wife has an iPhone, you'll both be able to use Auto or Carplay.

------------------

I don't know when Ford will make the switch from Microsoft to QNX, but most likely 2016 models.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:47 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

I have no problem with sync.

Also there were other threads on this already, for awhile. You just decide to make an official one?

LMAO
Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 AM
Ultra Member

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren

Also there were other threads on this already, for awhile. You just decide to make an official one?

LMAO
This isn't any official thread, just official announcement from Ford themselves.

I searched and didn't see any thread with press release from Ford.

I don't really care, if there is a proper thread on this topic, mods can merge em.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Patent Pending

Received 226 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren

LMAO
Here is the previous 8 page thread for reference: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/ford-sync-3-a-282010/
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

But Ford really SCREWED up this time by making a new system that you will not be able to put in place of Sync that is already in your vehicle. You will have to buy a new vehicle. You should be able to buy a upgrade.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Yes you can turn off the voice instructions in one of the sync menus. Did it years ago and forgot how. But definitily possible and much better after it's done!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah the sync sucks..

I cant even get my music off my phone now when its plugged in from the AUX

Trending Topics

Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah the sync sucks..

I cant even get my music off my phone now when its plugged in from the AUX

And dont bust this guys ***** for posting this.. There are alot of threads on here daily
Old 12-20-2014, 10:43 AM
American member

Received 1,059 Likes on 844 Posts

Another tidbit of info

Attachment 357507

Last edited by Masi1926; 05-10-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

What makes you believe the sync 3 system will support android auto or carplay?
My guess is those will be separate units altogether.

EDIT: Read first article... very interesting... Especially if Ford pushes out updates to allow switching between all 3 modes.

Last edited by centex99; 12-20-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Ford ditches Microsoft Sync for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay