Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Turbo Sound - 3.5L EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Odd Turbo Sound - 3.5L EcoBoost

I just bought a 2015 SuperCrew with the 3.5L EcoBoost. This is my 4th turbocharged vehicle and is replacing a 2013 SuperCrew with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I've noticed under light throttle application, I can hear the turbos spool up earlier than on my previous F-150. It almost sounds like an AC/heater blower motor. The sound fades once the turbos build more boost and switches to the typical whistle. I can hear the sound from a dead stop, as well as, from a rolling throttle application. I'm still breaking her in so I haven't fully taken it to full throttle across the entire RPM band, but the truck drives great, is very smooth, and seems to have no power loss so I'm not concerned about a leak. Overall, I'm very happy with my new purchase. I'm just wondering, does anyone else's EcoBoost make a similar sound?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My first 2015 did not have it, but it wasn't nearly as quiet as my new platinum. The platinum has a what I would call a high pitched vacuum sound that is proportional to how much gas I am giving it. Mine sounds like I am running it with the air cleaner lid off. The only thing I can think that it is, is a echoing of the down tube or intake sounds due to the fact that this truck has full skid plates and my last one did not. All I heard on my last truck was air noise on the freeway. I'll take this sound all day and live with it
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM

I think we're hearing the same thing. It's difficult to describe because the flutter only happens with minimal throttle inputs and dissipates as the boost builds. I also have skid plates so that may be it. I'm assuming you've romped on yours and have experienced no power loss? Also, this is your second '15? What happened to the first?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Is it different when you're in Sport mode?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbiggest
I just bought a 2015 SuperCrew with the 3.5L EcoBoost. This is my 4th turbocharged vehicle and is replacing a 2013 SuperCrew with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I've noticed under light throttle application, I can hear the turbos spool up earlier than on my previous F-150. It almost sounds like an AC/heater blower motor. The sound fades once the turbos build more boost and switches to the typical whistle. I can hear the sound from a dead stop, as well as, from a rolling throttle application. I'm still breaking her in so I haven't fully taken it to full throttle across the entire RPM band, but the truck drives great, is very smooth, and seems to have no power loss so I'm not concerned about a leak. Overall, I'm very happy with my new purchase. I'm just wondering, does anyone else's EcoBoost make a similar sound?
I can't find the thread but there was a guy that had either his transmission or transfer case replaced. He had a similar sound that he described as soundin like the blower was running on low speed.

Edit: found it.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...-miles-302121/

Last edited by quintonh; 08-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by quintonh
I can't find the thread but there was a guy that had either his transmission or transfer case replaced. He had a similar sound that he described as soundin like the blower was running on low speed.

Edit: found it.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...-miles-302121/
Thanks for the link. I am just driving it until it blows up. I'm so over chasing noises and problems. I had a transfercase issue on my 2013 ram. It would completely change the sound when in 4x4 and in 4-low, it would grind in 2high, at 5k miles they rebuilt it and showed me all the shinny alluminum flakes in my burnt transfercase oil. It lasted until 15k and went out again. They wanted to rebuild it again and I told them give me a new transfercase or a new truck..they did neither...took the legal long way around and now I'm in a ford. I will live with it. But thanks for the info
Old 08-28-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Krieg
Does not change in sport, tow, or 4x4 or with gear changes. It is throttle position and load dependent but loudest at 50mph
Old 08-28-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbiggest
I think we're hearing the same thing. It's difficult to describe because the flutter only happens with minimal throttle inputs and dissipates as the boost builds. I also have skid plates so that may be it. I'm assuming you've romped on yours and have experienced no power loss? Also, this is your second '15? What happened to the first?
Long boering story about air leaks and body shop visits. All behind me now.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Krieg
I can still hear it in sport mode. It may be a little quieter but it's still present.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo air noise

So has anyone had this noise diagnosed and corrected? When pulling a trailer this noise is prevalent and is not quite as loud as riding with the window open a crack, but equally distracting in an otherwise very quiet truck.

I bought my 2015 in November and have asked my dealership about it, but short of scheduling a service visit for it, have not received any response other than my salesperson saying it was normal. I had the Eco boost engine in my 2013 and it did not make this noise, and my buddy also has a 2015 F150 with the same engine and his does not make this noise either. I cannot accept that this is a normal noise.

Just wondering if someone has identified the cause (and solution).

Quick Reply: Odd Turbo Sound - 3.5L EcoBoost