Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT vs. P-Metric

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LT vs. P-Metric

I like many of my fellow forum members bought a wheel and tire package for my truck. I recently purchased a package from an online vendor thought I was receiving P metric tires and got LT tires, those of you that have LT what are your thoughts on the ride quality and overall quietness of the LT tires.

I know several of you guys have them on your trucks so they can't be that bad and they look great but my truck will never see the dirt or any type of trails.

Those of you that are running LT tires what kind of psi are you running on the street? Did it mess up your TPMS sensors due to the higher pressures required on LT tires.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I swapped out the OEM P-metrics for LT Coopers, and have done it on several trucks.

The LT's will have a stiffer sidewall, and a bit stiffer ride. The are thicker, heavier, and stronger. A truck that is being used as a truck (towing, hauling, offroad) should have LT's. Soccer-mom mobiles and street cruisers can stick with p-metric. I'm at 49psi front/rear, no issues with the TPMS
The following users liked this post:
Mozzaz72 (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I specifically ordered factory LT tires for the following reasons
1) more aggressive tread and higher load range for payload and towing
2) cost (only a $350 upgrade)
3) good snow traction (read online tire reviews)

When I test drove f150's before buying one, they all had P tires. I've had my LT's on the highway numerous times at speeds up to 75mph with no issues regarding excessive noise or any more noise then the P series tires. There is no howl and the ride is smooth and quiet. Overall very happy with them. I think the only issue will be to rotate the tires often (say 8000km) so they don't start to cup. Tire pressure is at factory settings, 39psi.

Last edited by crew man; 08-02-2015 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mozzaz72 (08-02-2015)

Quick Reply: LT vs. P-Metric