Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAKFLIP VP Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BAKFLIP VP Tonneau

Anyone have a Bakflip VP installed? Thoughts? Pics?

This one looks real nice and I don't think it takes those stupid damn drain tubes.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interested to know the answer to your question as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts

Ordered the Bakflip VP last week, hopefully it will be here next week. Ill let you know how it goes and post a picture once I get it on. I was trying to decide on this or the Roll-X. I was able to get the VP for about $100 less then the roll and I like the idea of being able to only open one panel on the bed if need be. I also wanted a smooth one piece look which the VP and Rollx both had.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a Bakflip VP on about a month ago, and extremely happy. Received a great deal and fast delivery from Maury at tonneaufactoryoutlet.com
The VP does have drain tubes, I routed these through the rubber openings in my factory drop-in liner and then drilled a hole in the plastic drain plugs at the front of the bed (both sides). Needed to get a longer piece of plastic tubing (Home Depot), although this seemed to be the best way to route the tubes. Cable tie underneath where they exit the bed and job done. With this said, I did remove the bed liner as the bed liner openings for cable attachment do not line up with the drain plug placement. Not a huge job, worth the extra effort to get it right.

I like the look it is very clean and the system works well; 99% moisture free, system installs straight forward.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Darn...have to drill holes for drain tubes? And need to buy a longer tube? And need to remove bed liner? What if you have a sprayed in bed liner?

Just like the original poster, I too was hoping drain tubes were not needed for the Bakflip VP.

Back to square one.

MG
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgronda
Darn...have to drill holes for drain tubes? And need to buy a longer tube? And need to remove bed liner? What if you have a sprayed in bed liner?

Just like the original poster, I too was hoping drain tubes were not needed for the Bakflip VP.

Back to square one.

MG
This thread made me look into that cap, and it looks good. Love the prop rod. From that vid I dont see how the drain tubes are needed? In the vid he says probably not needed, but to test it out. I know its a different truck, install has to be very similar.

Last edited by Jrob56; 04-17-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, check out the Fold a Cover G4 Elite. No drain tubes of any kind, and you have front and rear access indpendent of each other. I will say, it doesn't sit as flush as some others. To me that was actually a positive.
The following 2 users liked this post by pb65stang:
bodybycoorslite (04-21-2015), Mgronda (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Bakflip VP on my 2013 F150 and really liked it. I never installed the drain tubes and never noticed a water issue beyond a few drops at the corner of the tailgate. I recently purchased a new VP for my 2015 F150 and so far have been disappointed with the experience.

First, shims are required (supposedly factory applied to the rails) because of the angled edge of the plastic bed cap. Mine didn't come with the shims at all which, of course, I didn't notice until after I tried to install the thing. I contacted Bak and they sent me the shims, but now it still doesn't fit well enough with the shims installed. The cover appears to be too narrow. The latches don't make enough contact with the rails to actually function. Bak has a bulletin on the 2015's located at http://bakindustries.com/pt-3181-201...-bulletin.html. Do yourself a favor and check this and measure the width of your cover before trying to do an install. Mine is too narrow according to the dimensions in this bulletin and I'm waiting for an answer from Bak.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Smerritt88, good heads up. I thought I was going to buy one. Now I think I am going to write it off and look for a different one.

Here is another unhappy camper with the Bakflip VP:

MG
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just talked to Morrie at tonneau fact outlet and like the video says the drain tubes are optional and you really shouldnt need them. My whole problem is they only come with a 1 year warranty. Thats a pretty lame warranty if you ask me. He did mention he is taking orders for the new roll-x called the revolverX2 if anyone is interested. Also said that one will come with a 3 yr warranty. Thinking on going that route at the moment, any thoughts?

Quick Reply: BAKFLIP VP Tonneau