Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum body not as Straight as the older Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aluminum body not as Straight as the older Steel?

I have a 2011 truck which I really like for the most part. A few nit picks, but in 3 years I've only had to change the oil and have the wiper motors replaced.

I've been eyeballing the new trucks for the last few months and the major thing that sticks out to me is that the Aluminum bodywork doesn't have as clean lines as the older steel does.

It looks wavy when looking down the side of the truck in the reflections. I don't think the process is as refined as the steel. Or maybe there are other factors involved? Does anyone else notice this?

I also don't think the overall fit and finish is as good as my 2011 in the interior and exterior.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fit and finish is not as good as my 2012, but I think that can be attributed to the new model year. That will likely get better with time. I haven't noticed any waves in the body of my truck. I have the blue flame color though and I think that it hides dirt and imperfections pretty good. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I were looking at a darker color?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aluminum body not as Straight as the older Steel?

Mine is a June build platinum with panels smooth as glass when sighting down the sides. Not a concern on mine anyway. Cheers.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree with the OP. The body panel stampings are not clean. It varies from truck to truck. I have yet to see one that is completely smooth. Most have wrinkles or waves or some sort along with not lining up with adjacent panels.

If I were looking at one that was used, I would assume it had been wrecked and fixed with bondo. I have said it before, but there is no other vehicle on the planet I am aware of that has the panel fitment and stamping issues of the F150. I have issues with my '13 and hoped the quality would be better on the '15s. Unfortunately, it seems they may be worse. Flame away....
Old 09-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't noticed any fit and finish issues. I have a later build. Everything looks smooth and straight and tight.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

I have a Tuxedo Black 2015 and I agree that the body panels are wavy. Even around the door handles it looks iffy. I always stare at othe brand trucks when I'm at a traffic light and two thing I notice are 1.) no wavy panels and 2.) the door panels are properly aligned.

I have an early build but I've seen the same thing on later builds. Guess it's hit or miss.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Saved by Grace

Received 262 Likes on 68 Posts

I applied a full Zaino treatment last Monday (it was a holiday) to my new Magnetic Lariat. It took the better part of 6 hours to wash the truck with Dawn, Claybar the truck, dry everything, apply Z2 with ZFX and then Z5 with ZFX and finish by spraying with Z6 and finally Z8. I'm not sure what you are talking about, but the lines on my truck look perfectly straight. The panels are not wavy or mismatched and with the Zaino, the reflection in the paint is like a mirror.

I wonder if it's the metallic paint that hides any imperfections?

Last edited by Neffster; 09-11-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Clean lines on mine, too. Guess they got some of this new-fangled aluminum stuff right...
Old 09-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

No issues here at all, I just went out side looked it over real good too. But then again I didn't have any door alignment issues or anything else except for that damn ugly rusty looking rear end pumpkin...;.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it is hit or miss. I wonder if the factory at which it was built as makes any difference?

I see a lot of trucks driving down the road with wavy body work.

Quick Reply: Aluminum body not as Straight as the older Steel?