Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

PVD chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PVD chrome wheels

Does anyone know if the pvd chrome wheels can be repaired and if so where? I called the local rim repair places and they say no way. just looking for a final word.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

https://detroitwheelandtire.com/wheel-repair-refinish

(google is your friend!)
Old 08-20-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd be interested in the pricing they quote you. I have one on my '12 I bought used that could use some love. I'm just worried the cost to repair might equal or exceed new.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks chickenwire. Detroit is 225+shipping per wheel. Takes about 3-4 weeks. Pricy but that why I'm asking to see if anyone else has a solution
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I too am looking for a place that will repair my PVD wheels. You look online and it says everywhere, they are cheap and easy to fix, yet every wheel shop I call says they don't do that? I looked at shipping them to Detroit, and a place on ebay... but for that kind of money I can buy another set of wheels and then most likely sell mine and not come out too far behind... Its just annoying that no one seems to know how to or care to repair these wheels... Has anyone out there been able to find a cheap place to have them repaired? I am in the Atlanta area
Old 05-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about hydro dipping? I don;t know much about it but if that outer plastic shell could be removed.. I'd assume there's a chrome dip that'd work.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Skeer
What about hydro dipping? I don;t know much about it but if that outer plastic shell could be removed.. I'd assume there's a chrome dip that'd work.

Holy Cow - I had not even thought about that! I remember reading about the process and got excited about dipping some interior parts to a old Jeep.... I will have to look into it, just not sure about durability when it comes to wheels, but it should be a way cheaper option, and possibly even cheap enough to re-do if they were to get damaged/scratched
Old 05-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Yeah the durability would be a question... but they hydro grills, grill insert and other external parts so unless youre dipping wheels off your rock crawler I'd think you;d be fine.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Skeer
Yeah the durability would be a question... but they hydro grills, grill insert and other external parts so unless youre dipping wheels off your rock crawler I'd think you;d be fine.

Well I found a local guy that does it, and he has actually done wheels, saw some pics and they looked good. However, he charges as much as an after market wheel.

The other thing I am going to look into is getting them wrapped with vinyl... Saw some guys on Youtube doing it, I know it wont last long, but again I am hoping maybe its cheap enough to hold me over
Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by wtcorley
Well I found a local guy that does it, and he has actually done wheels, saw some pics and they looked good. However, he charges as much as an after market wheel.

The other thing I am going to look into is getting them wrapped with vinyl... Saw some guys on Youtube doing it, I know it wont last long, but again I am hoping maybe its cheap enough to hold me over

You could always Plasti-Dip them.. its probably just as durable as vinyl.

Quick Reply: PVD chrome wheels