Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Weird noise upon startup today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise upon startup today

I went outside to start up the truck, I always let it run about 15-20 min in the winter to get it warmed up before I leave. It was -2 degrees outside at the time. I went out and turned the key the truck started (took longer than normal) but made a pretty weird noise, kind of sounded like the power steering whirring noise you get when you are low on fluid and make a turn.......only a ton louder. It then started idling at about 500rpm (manual) I thought 500rpm was a little low for initial startup as it should be revving a bit higher. So I slowly revved it up to about 1500 rpm and the noise came back.........again very loud. I then let off the gas and it stayed at about 1200 rpm which is where it normally is around initial startup. I revved it again and no noise, the noise was gone. I didn't have this noise yesterday when I started it and that was at 0 degrees outside so I don't think it has anything to do with the temperature. It has had an oil change recently so it's not filled with old oil that could be sludging up or anything.

Any ideas on what this could be?

98 F150 4.6L 4X4 5 speed 148k miles
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it a squealing noise? And that's the only time it's happened?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM

No it wasn't a squealing noise, so it's not a belt or anything. If you've ever heard a car that is low on power steering fluid make a turn and hear that whirring noise that the power steering pump makes that's what it sounded like. But like 10x louder than that would sound.

And yes that is the only time it has happened.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

At -2 degrees, I make strange noises also. Keep an eye or ear on it. It still could be a normal P/S pump noise that is temperature activated.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does that to cold.. Sound like its from the P/S area...
Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Ok, I'll wait till spring time. And then have the power steering system flushed and refilled. Maybe that will help with the problem.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sound

My 07 did it last week when it was -4 and below last week. Took it in and left it at the dealer friday night, didn't do it saturday. Talked with them about it, said they're seen it before and do not have a resolution to it. They've worked with Ford, have replaced the PS pump, idler, belts etc and have no solution to it. So far it's not caused any problems other than being aggrevating. Seems a number of people have this, in fact i listed the same thing on another forum the other day. Got responses from 04 through 08's having the same issues.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Yeah I don't think it is a problem, it just kind of startled me when it happened and freaked me out a bit. I haven't had it happen since (it's been warmer). So I think it is just something with the cold.

Quick Reply: Weird noise upon startup today