Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump?

My 1990 F-150 w/ a 4.9 I-6 has developed a new issue. When I sit at a stop light the temperature gauge creeps up. It hasn't gone past the "Normal" mark yet, but its still fairly cold out. I notice the heater starts to blow cold air when the temperature goes up as well so I think there is a flow problem. When I start driving again, the temperature goes back down to normal and the heater starts blowing hot again. On the highway and around town the operating temperature is normal. Just when I stop and idle the problem appears. If I were to put it in neutral and rev the engine, the problem goes away. What do you think, is it a waterpump?

Thank you,
Kevin C
Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Sure sounds like a pump going bad. When my 91 4.9 pump went bad it started losing fluid from a weep hole on the underside of the pump (conveniently placed there to let you know when the pump is shot).

It's a time consuming fix, but not too difficult. It's also an opportunity to pull your radiator - really easy - and hose all the accumulated crap out of it.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM

You have a flow problem - either air or coolant. If the fan is not pulling enough air through the radiator when sitting still, it will allow the engine to heat up. Driving the truck and revving the engine forces more air through it. Check for damaged or missing fan blades, damaged fan shroud, and a clogged or dirty radiator. If they seem OK, it's a flow problem with the coolant. Start by checking the level in the radiator and overflow box. Top it all off and drive it for a while. If it still does it, you probably need a new water pump. Might as well replace that Thermostat at this time too.

Last edited by DirtyEC; 02-17-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like you're low on coolant.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 AM

THanks for the replies. I'll start cheap and double check the coolant level tonight after work. I think it should be okay because I checked it not that long ago. I don't have anything leaking from the weep hole in the bottom of the waterpump, but that doesn't mean the inpeller blades aren't eroded off. I thought there may have been an air bubble in the system too. I'll try to check for that as well.

THanks again,
Kevin C

Quick Reply: Water pump?