Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

U Joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default U Joint replacement

I searched for a while and could not find my answers.

I believe I have a U joint failure in my truck. I was looking for a How to on replacing them. I have never attempted such a task. Is it hard? Do I need special tools? What ones do you guys recommend? Should I replace the drive shaft as well? I don't really plan on going off road, since their aren't many trails around here.

Thanks in advance!

Matt|ttaM
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never mind I looked it up on Utube and I don't think i can do it since I don't have a garage or a press.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Before you change them just scoot under your truck and try to move the drive shaft around on each end and if there feels like theres too much play go ahead and replace.

I did it in my garage with nothing but some ordinary tools. One thing is a grease gun for newer u joints to keep them well maintained. Also a bench vise is extremely helpful. And don't drop the u joint after you take it off the bearings will go everywhere! No I dont speak from experience! you need to take your drive shaft off (Obviously) And you dont need to put the truck on jack stands (unless you have lowered it) Just follow this write up pretty simple, pretty easy! http://www.ehow.com/how_4883393_repl...sal-joint.html

And a few encouraging words from my good 'ol friend bob.

Quick Reply: U Joint replacement